• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Soar Bleeding Area on Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

majidemo

i have two guinea pigs. 1 male & 1 female.
for 1 week i have been feeding them rabbit pellet (because the petshop sold me the wrong feeds. i asked for guinea pig pellet mixed, but they gave me rabbit pellet mixed instead. & i didnt noticed. ofcourse when i noticed i immediately went back to buy a replacement but i have already been feeding them rabbit pellets for almost 3days)

about the soar area on the back. the area doesnt have hair anymore. & i believe its been bleeding due to constant scratching. please advice?

and for more info. i keep them on a aquarium with wood chippings that i change once in 2 weeks. I'm just new to petting a guinea pig. thanks alot!

Emmiiee

is it the male or female whos got the sore?

males have a waxy gland just above their bums, could be that, that has gotten sore, tho I'm sure someone else will be along to give you more info! x

katiepops

Adult Guinea Pig
Hello welcome to the forum. Your piggy could well have a mites or fungal problem and they're skin is really sore so their scratching a lot. A trip to the vet would be a very good idea to get it under control.
I've not heard of guinea pigs being kept in an aquarium before, some piggies have allergies to woodshavings so it could be that irritating them. Once every 2 weeks seems like quite a long time between bedding changes, they will be sitting in their own wee as well so again that might be irritating them.
I'd suggest a trip to the vets to find out the problem then perhaps have a look into a change of bedding and up the frequency of cleans. Hope you manage to get to the route of the problem. :)

majidemo

ooh thanks for those replies everyone..
i removed them from the aquarium and transfered them to a cage, i guess its much cleaner but also space is smaller...
we have been applying antibiotic cream on the soar areas, i believe its gotten better.. maybe it really was caused by infection or allergies for not cleaning their bedding frequently..
the male has 3 sore areas, on the back , near the back thigh & at the butt :))
the female has 1 , only on the back..
skin is dry tho, but i think its getting better.. we'll try to take it to the vet..
thanks again...

*doubt its mange mites cuz they said it would be in V-shape..
but soar areas on my piggies are circular...

i checked here -> http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/photogallery.html <-
& i believe what my piggies have almost looks like the RING WORM image there but a little difference..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.