• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Soft poops!

crazymaisie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Our guinea pig Pepper has soft poops when she eats too many veggies, which is pretty often. We think she has a sensitive tummy. Our other guinea pig, Maisie, is on antibiotics currently, so her poops aren't healthy either. As a result she keeps trying to eat Pepper's poops, which is disgusting as her poops are very soft right now :vom:. We have separated them, and Pepper is not allowed veggies and is on a strict diet of only Timothy hay. What could I do to improve her soft poops?
We seem to constantly have problems with our guinea pigs, and have also considered buying the Piggy Potions book as the vets is so expensive. What's the best way to buy this/would you recommend it?
Thank you for reading! :luv:

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It’s good youve removed veggies from Pepper’s diet. Don’t reintroduce veg until poops normalise. If they do not normalise, then please do see a vet.
Too many veggies can cause soft poops (so do ensure veggies are always kept limited to 50g per pig per day) but it may be that there is something else going on if it keeps happening so a vet check would be a good idea.

With Maisie being on antibiotics and if she is also having soft poops, then she also needs to have veggies removed from her diet until she is feeling better.

I would recommend you give them both probiotics - it can be a good idea for a piggy on antibiotics to have probiotics (give an hour after an antibiotic dose, not at the same time), and it may also help Pepper.
The guides below explain further about digestive upsets and probiotics.

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m sorry your girls have upset tummies. You’ve been given great advice above. What I would say is not to separate them. That in itself can sometimes cause issues.

Be aware that it’s always best to see a vet so your piggies can get the correct diagnosis and treatment. I hope both your girls are better soon.

crazymaisie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It’s good youve removed veggies from Pepper’s diet. Don’t reintroduce veg until poops normalise. If they do not normalise, then please do see a vet.
Too many veggies can cause soft poops (so do ensure veggies are always kept limited to 50g per pig per day) but it may be that there is something else going on if it keeps happening so a vet check would be a good idea.

With Maisie being on antibiotics and if she is also having soft poops, then she also needs to have veggies removed from her diet until she is feeling better.

I would recommend you give them both probiotics - it can be a good idea for a piggy on antibiotics to have probiotics (give an hour after an antibiotic dose, not at the same time), and it may also help Pepper.
The guides below explain further about digestive upsets and probiotics.

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links
I’m sorry your girls have upset tummies. You’ve been given great advice above. What I would say is not to separate them. That in itself can sometimes cause issues.

Be aware that it’s always best to see a vet so your piggies can get the correct diagnosis and treatment. I hope both your girls are better soon.
Thank you guys! :)

Bill & Ted

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, hope your girlies get better very soon x