• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

soft poos

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
One of my foster pigs Betty has got soft poos which are malformed and smelly. I have stopped her veg. Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I can help her get back to normal? or what may be the matter?

Thanks x

Wiebke

Staff member
Good on you for stopping any fresh food immediately! Make sure that she keeps hydrated and eating. Weigh her daily to control her food intake.

There can be different causes, but the smelliness doesn't sound great. It could be an infection of the guts. Please have her seen by a vet tomorrow.

AgentF

Adult Guinea Pig
If you can get hold of a probiotic that will help with any tummy troubles
fibreplex is a good one and most vets should have it

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
What do people think about the idea of feeding half a poo from a healthy pig to Betty - have been having a read around. I got a probiotic from PAH earlier (spit) cos my vets didn't have any sachets. Pro C probiotic, but it says to put it in the drinking water rather than give any form of concentrated amount to the pig. What is everyone's opinions?

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Yes make her a poop soup if you dont have any probiotics handy. Just mash up a fresh poop from a healthy piggy with some water and syringe feed it to her, its suppose to be very successful - not that i have ever done it myself.

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
done - poor girl really didn't like that - feel guilty now :-(

hopefully it'll help her feel better though x

Just to add - if you can then leave a few poos from healthy piggies scattered in Betty's cage overnight. They do get up for midnight snacks and healthy poos are good gut medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.