Solo piggie after bereavement

Jon880

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jul 1, 2024
Messages
31
Reaction score
45
Points
175
Location
Swansea
In the space of two and a half months I've gone from a herd of three guinea pigs to - as of today - a lone remaining piggie, Sandie.

I'm hoping soon to bond her with another guinea pig from our local rescue (Suzy at GGPR, well known to the forum). However, there'll be a period of at least two weeks before I can find her a new friend.

I've read the sticky page on caring for a lone piggie but I was just wondering if there's anything more I could or should do in my specific circumstances. For example, I work from home most days and I intend to move my laptop out of our box room / office and work from the kitchen diner, where our C&C cage is, just so Sandie has some company of sorts during the day.

Secondly, I have an Echo Dot in the kitchen diner; are there any nature sounds or types of music available on Amazon Music which can calm a lone piggie, or create the illusion that other piggies are somewhere nearby? Or would that just distress Sandie even more?

Grateful for any tips.
 
In the space of two and a half months I've gone from a herd of three guinea pigs to - as of today - a lone remaining piggie, Sandie.

I'm hoping soon to bond her with another guinea pig from our local rescue (Suzy at GGPR, well known to the forum). However, there'll be a period of at least two weeks before I can find her a new friend.

I've read the sticky page on caring for a lone piggie but I was just wondering if there's anything more I could or should do in my specific circumstances. For example, I work from home most days and I intend to move my laptop out of our box room / office and work from the kitchen diner, where our C&C cage is, just so Sandie has some company of sorts during the day.

Secondly, I have an Echo Dot in the kitchen diner; are there any nature sounds or types of music available on Amazon Music which can calm a lone piggie, or create the illusion that other piggies are somewhere nearby? Or would that just distress Sandie even more?

Grateful for any tips.

Hi

I am very sorry about your loss.

You could see how she reacts to piggy videos but your familiar presence in her room is a great help. Try to use enrichment activities to spend more quality time with her but be led by her interest and attitude. Same piggies become more withdrawn and others clingy, depending on their nature and how well they cope with being by themselves.

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
 
Back
Top