• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Solo piggy

Chaz & Dave

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

I very sadly had to have Chaz PTS today 😥. The vet advised he had somehow managed to dislocate his hip and had lost all use and feeling in his leg.

So i am now sadly left with only Dave. He seems to be coping so I’m really not sure what to do about whether to just see how he goes being on his own or whether i should look into bonding him with a new pig. He is only 18 months old, entire male.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Chaz and Dave were my first G pigs and unsure what to do now for the best?

X thanks

Hello. I’m so sorry for your sad loss. Please feel free to post in the Rainbow Bridge thread.
I’ve moved your post to a thread of its own. Are you able to get to any of the recommended rescues on our rescue locator to see if they can do a bonding session for Dave? Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

I am so sorry to hear about Chaz.
I am in a similar situation to you after loosing one of my pigs unexpectedly this week.
I now have Harry (age 2) on his own for the first time in his life.
To me it is clear that I need to find him another companion, but he is eating, drinking and seems fine, so I also have time.

Dave is young and if he is ok then it isn't urgent, but given his age I would say that in the longer term he will need companionship.
I agree with VickiA that it would be worth trying to find a rescue that offer boar dating and give him the chance to choose his own companion.

Failing that if you have a good vet you could always consider getting him neutered, and after the 6 week wait pairing him with a sow or two.

But for now be kind to yourself - losing a piggy is hard. :hug:

I am so sorry to hear about Chaz.
I am in a similar situation to you after loosing one of my pigs unexpectedly this week.
I now have Harry (age 2) on his own for the first time in his life.
To me it is clear that I need to find him another companion, but he is eating, drinking and seems fine, so I also have time.

Dave is young and if he is ok then it isn't urgent, but given his age I would say that in the longer term he will need companionship.
I agree with VickiA that it would be worth trying to find a rescue that offer boar dating and give him the chance to choose his own companion.

Failing that if you have a good vet you could always consider getting him neutered, and after the 6 week wait pairing him with a sow or two.

But for now be kind to yourself - losing a piggy is hard. :hug:
Aw thank you. Yes i think Dave was the most confident of the two so seems to be coping but yes will need to think about the longer term for him. Thanks and i hope your piggy finds their forever friend too x

Hello. I’m so sorry for your sad loss. Please feel free to post in the Rainbow Bridge thread.
I’ve moved your post to a thread of its own. Are you able to get to any of the recommended rescues on our rescue locator to see if they can do a bonding session for Dave? Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

Thank you.

I will take a look x

Hi,

I very sadly had to have Chaz PTS today 😥. The vet advised he had somehow managed to dislocate his hip and had lost all use and feeling in his leg.

So i am now sadly left with only Dave. He seems to be coping so I’m really not sure what to do about whether to just see how he goes being on his own or whether i should look into bonding him with a new pig. He is only 18 months old, entire male.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Chaz and Dave were my first G pigs and unsure what to do now for the best?

X thanks
So sorry you lost Chaz 😥 Take your time before any decisions, its horrible losing one of a pair. I had the same situation last year with a 9 month old boar left on his own. I sought out a rescue which did residential bonding so hopefully you have options like this available to you once you feel ready. In the meantime big hugs for you and Dave x

So sorry you lost Chaz 😥 Take your time before any decisions, its horrible losing one of a pair. I had the same situation last year with a 9 month old boar left on his own. I sought out a rescue which did residential bonding so hopefully you have options like this available to you once you feel ready. In the meantime big hugs for you and Dave x

Thank you x

Hi,

X thanks

Hi!

I am so sorry for your loss!

As long as Dave is eating and drinking, if being subdued, you have the time to contact any rescue within your reach to hopefully set up a dating session; ideally with a rescue that offers residential dating (best option) or that has the most possible candidates. Don't go by what's listed on the website but contact the rescues directly.

Here is our guide with all the practical tips for bereaved companions (including rescue links, most of which offer boar dating): Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Please be kind to yourself as you go through your own grieving process. You may find our human piggy slave grieving guide helpful to make sense of your own emotions as you go through the different stages: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Hi!

I am so sorry for your loss!

As long as Dave is eating and drinking, if being subdued, you have the time to contact any rescue within your reach to hopefully set up a dating session; ideally with a rescue that offers residential dating (best option) or that has the most possible candidates. Don't go by what's listed on the website but contact the rescue directly.

Here is our guide with all the practical tips for bereaved companions (including rescue links, most of which offer boar dating): Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Please be kind to yourself as you go through your own grieving process. You may find our human piggy slave grieving guide helpful to make sense of your own emotions as you go through the different stages:

Thank you very much x

So sorry to hear that you lost Chaz
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.

I can only echo the advice given about a new companion for Dave. Any new piggy will be very lucky to have such a loving and caring home with you

Back