• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Some small poops but also regular poop

stitchlove2

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have two boars Teddy and Bear, recently I had to go somewhere where I couldn’t take them for a week and I had a friend watch them. When I came back I got them and when I had them out for floor time I noticed that one of my piggies pooped this little pile of oddly shaped soft poops. They are both almost 2 and I’ve had them since they were 6 months old. This has never happened to me they have always had healthy poop so I quickly researched what to do and I didn’t give them veggies for 24 hours and supplied them huge piles of hay and had them out so I could make sure they had hay whenever possible. Their poop got better and normalized so I started giving veggies again but now a few weeks later I saw one piggie, Bear, while eating hay poop tiny soft poops with regular poop and I don’t know what to do my other one seems perfectly fine and I only see small poops rarely and almost all are normal from both piggies but I’m still worried. What’s the best thing to do?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I have two boars Teddy and Bear, recently I had to go somewhere where I couldn’t take them for a week and I had a friend watch them. When I came back I got them and when I had them out for floor time I noticed that one of my piggies pooped this little pile of oddly shaped soft poops. They are both almost 2 and I’ve had them since they were 6 months old. This has never happened to me they have always had healthy poop so I quickly researched what to do and I didn’t give them veggies for 24 hours and supplied them huge piles of hay and had them out so I could make sure they had hay whenever possible. Their poop got better and normalized so I started giving veggies again but now a few weeks later I saw one piggie, Bear, while eating hay poop tiny soft poops with regular poop and I don’t know what to do my other one seems perfectly fine and I only see small poops rarely and almost all are normal from both piggies but I’m still worried. What’s the best thing to do?
It seems to be very mild but try to take them off veg again until the poos have normalised again for 24-48 hours before starting to reintroduce veg; ideally just a little herb and then gradually adding one more veg with every passing meal. It may have been that you went back to normal just a little bit too quickly.

If that doesn't do the trick, then you can either try and see whether there is a sensitivity to a certain food or whether a bug of some kind is responsible that may need a vet trip and medication to clear.

stitchlove2

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ohhh ok you I kinda just went back into it and then I saw that so I have been giving them only two types of veggies for a couple of days and only a half cup so I see what you mean, I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t anything too big, both of them have been acting as normal. Thank you for your quick response !:)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Ohhh ok you I kinda just went back into it and then I saw that so I have been giving them only two types of veggies for a couple of days and only a half cup so I see what you mean, I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t anything too big, both of them have been acting as normal. Thank you for your quick response !:)
Give the gut microbiome a bit longer to rebalance itself. We recommend at least 24 hours time after normalisation in order to stabilise.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
If the companion hasn't got any issues you could try a live healthy gut microbiome transfer to additionally help Bear's gut. It is known under the descriptive term of 'poo soup', but as it mimics natural behaviour, it is one of the few home remedies that has really stood the test of the time. Key is that the time between making a fresh healthy poo to the microbiome arriving in the ill gut should be as short as possible as the biome will die off very quickly; ideally you do it within 5 minutes for best effect. Done properly, it is more effective than probiotic powder because it is tailor made for guinea pig gut.
You can find the 'recipe' in this link here: Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Free Ranger

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We don't mind photos of poops if you want to post some to show the two types of poops together!

stitchlove2

New Born Pup
Reaction score
C6C335EC-EF60-485D-A29B-51CE1CE1BF6E.jpeg
this is the right after I got them I don’t have a picture of the small ones after a couple weeks but I will send a pic of what the poops look like today

stitchlove2

New Born Pup
Reaction score
814F1503-8447-4BAD-A81B-5455A73FE4F6.jpeg
I have taken them out today and they pooped a lot I just took a picture of this right now in their cage (I just replaced fleece) and this is what all of the poop looked like today.