• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

someone is weeing blood! does it ever end!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MommaPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today i woke up to find blood stains all around the cage. I cant work out who it is though. My brother is giving me the spare cage later so i can split them and see...but knowing his luck it will be arnold :( but it was scary to go in see blood all over the place. It doesnt seem to stop. Sorry for the grammer I'm on my phone.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry - this is the time of the year for UTIs... Good that you have a spare cage so you can find out who it is (although going on my own record, all piggies will suddenly either stop weeing or stop weeing blood when you want them to!)

HelenRM

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've got exactly the same issue hon, so massive hugs and sympathy. If in doubt syringe them both with some cranberry juice or contact Laura CC4 - she's been brilliant with me today when I've had a minor meltdown!
Wiebke, when you say the time of year, is there a reason? Is there some way to prevent it?

Helx

Reaction score
I am sorry - this is the time of the year for UTIs... Good that you have a spare cage so you can find out who it is (although going on my own record, all piggies will suddenly either stop weeing or stop weeing blood when you want them to!)

Hey Wiebke, what makes it common at this time of year? Is it a bug or the heat or something?xox

MommaPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh no, so you guys are dealing with the same thing?

How horrible.

Why is it common this time of year?

And I know what you mean, Wiebke, they both stopped weeing all together when I was watching them earlier! And when I looked away for a bit and looked back, there were some more blood stains.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Get them out on your lap one at a time with a towel and syringe them water and wait for it to happen. I syringe fed Bumble 4 lots after her jump for freedom and she wee'd within minutes but I just wanted to check it wasn't causing her pain etc before we got to the vets

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:( I'm so sorry hope your little piggle feels better soon, big hugs! xxxxx

MommaPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Neither of them have weed any blood in the last 24 hours now :{

I'm really confused. I split them up over night and when nothing came of that, I put them both outside together for the day and have now left them together because neither of them have had any more blood in their urine, so I just don't know what happened.

Clearly something is wrong with one of them, they're just making it difficult to tell which one :(

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Wiebke, what makes it common at this time of year? Is it a bug or the heat or something?xox

Quite often it is the fact that the day/night temperatures vary so much and people putting the piggies outside for the first time on the lawn. Guinea pigs are much closer to the ground and any combination of cold/dampness is poison. I have found that UTI post are much more frequent in spring than at other times of the year.

I am sorry about your problems; finding a UTI piggy can be rather frustrating, whether it's two or eleven!

Reaction score
Quite often it is the fact that the day/night temperatures vary so much and people putting the piggies outside for the first time on the lawn. Guinea pigs are much closer to the ground and any combination of cold/dampness is poison. I have found that UTI post are much more frequent in spring than at other times of the year.

I am sorry about your problems; finding a UTI piggy can be rather frustrating, whether it's two or eleven!

Ah I get it! Thanks for explaining x

MommaPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I finally found out who it is!

Surprisingly, it's Ralph :o

I called the vet today and they've squished me in for 5:30pm tonight.

I thought I should let you all know that I finally found out who it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.