• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Someone please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My 2 (girl) pigs are about 4 months old and they been with me since they were about 2 months. I thought they would have started to settle down by now with their routine but they're still just really skitty and run and hide whenever I go near their pen, I'm starting to think that they really hate me :( any ideas on how to calm them down? Any thoughts at all would be appreciated! x

most guinea pigs do, do this regardless of their age they are preditors and the natural thing for them to do is run and hide when people/something approches, give it time and they may settle more but it can take mths and mths for them to settle and the calmest of guineas will still run, and they are still very young, do you know there past? as sometimes this can have an affect on them in the future and make them a little extra jumpy x

No I'm not sure, I got them when they'd only been in the pet shop a day so I'm guessing they'de just been from a breeder before then. Thanks for the advice I'll try and be patient x

when they come from pet shops they tend to come from breeding farms which are horrid places, no human contact and in very dirty over crowed barns, they are not loved or looked after much at all and the ones that live are lucky...

just have them out every day cuddle them against you they like been cuddled in a towel, and offer veg from your hand, this will take a long, long time to get them gain your trust but keep at it as it will work in time but maybe not just yet x

It may take quite a while for them to get confident around you. Lots of cuddles will help and also, try popping your hand in their cage, so they can sniff you and then you can stroke them. Once they realise you aren't a threat to them, they won't be quite so shy. Don't worry, they don't hate you...they're just getting used to you.

`

I always found that constantly talking to my 6 piggies helped a lot with their skittish-ness (if that's even a word lol). When they were younger i used to spend hours just sitting next to their cages and talking to them. Eventually they would venture out while i was sitting there - sometimes i would hold a piece of veg and they would come a sniff it (i would hold my hand real still and not make any sudden movements) eventually they would take the food from me and run. In time they would come to the side of the cage for food.

I also associated their veg with the words 'yum, yums' and whenever i had some tasty treats i would call out the words 'yum, yums' and rustle a bag - every time they noe hear a bag rustling they think of good things and scream at the top of their lungs till you bring them some.

Lap time is a good way of them getting used to you. I always made sure i had a piece of lettuce, red pepper, or carrot with me - guinea pigs love food - so they instantly see us as the people with 'yum, yums' - how can a guinea pig resist? I kept lap time to a minimum (say 5-10mins of cuddle time) - and only have them out for maybe 10-15mins now (and my two youngest are 7months old now).

3 of my 6 guinea pigs will happily sit there and allow you to pick them up while the other 3 it's a bit of hide and seek when it comes to lap time (funnily enough the three that give me the run-around are the 3 less dominant piggies of my pairings). One of my boys is still quite skittish and any sudden movements have him running and hiding - so believe me it's nothing you are doing - some guinea pigs are skittish by nature and some never get rid of it completely. My shy boy (as we call him) doesn't crave attention (well not human kind anyhow) and i don't think is really motivated by food (well he may kill for a piece of parsley) - so we don't push him and we make sure we are extra quiet when he's out when we approach the cage.

Give them time and i'm sure they'll come out of their shell's. Do you have an indoor run or area they can come out and run around in safely? I found this helped a alot with my first boy - within two weeks of us having him he was happily being handled, coming to the side of the cage for food and even coming to us when we called his name (mind you he is what we call our human guinea pig lol)

Sorry about the long winded post - just wanted to give you some idea of what helped for me - do they have lots of toys to play with in their cage? loo rolls with a slit cut down the middle filled with hay make a great toy and piggies go crazy for them!

Yeh thats great thank you so much! They've got a cage that they sleep in and kind of an indoor run, so they just pop in and out whenever they feel like it!

I do try and get them out for cuddle time every day but it is a bit of a chasing game! By the time I actually get them out they seem to be really nervous and I feel cruel holding them for too long because they look so scared bless them lol

I think I'm just going to have to persevere before I gain any trust but thanks everyone thats all a great help!

x

If you have a cuddle cup, a bed or something, try taking them out in that. That way they'll still feel safe and secure. Then they might be more willing to sit and let you stroke them. Once they are more confident, you can have them out on your lap.

Hi
Our two Guinea girls dont like being caught - never have - Noodles will happily sit on your lap and be cuddled while Truffles will happily clamber over you but doesnt like to be hemmed in or held - will just grumble and wee on you - a friend has over 30 piggies and they are all different - I used to get upset because other piggies friends have are easily caught and handled, but it all comes down to them being individuals - we find having them on our laps for feeding veggies occasionally helps - as they are so greedy for veg they will let you stroke them or clip their nails for some corriander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back