• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Something In My Piggies Chest Area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi everyone i have 2 piggy girls 1 and a half year old. While petting dolma on her neck( giving her a chin rub) i felt something like a little lump on her chest area. Its realy small like 2 cm and soft and moves. It caused her no discomfort when i touched it. She is eating normal everything else is normal its been there since a week. Her sister bunni also has it but less palpable as she is chubby. Both of them seem normal, eating normal playing and stuff. That lump thing is not visible i can just feel it when i look for it. Is there any organ in this area that I'm able to palpate or is can be something else. Kindly help☺️☺️
Vet appointment is already done . I'm going there tommorrow evening, but one day seems so long. So if anyone could give me some insight it would be helpful.

It could possibly be a cyst in the mammary area. Cysts are quite common. I'm glad that you are taking her to the vets to check, it's always best with these types of things. :)

Hi thanks for your reply. Its not in the mamary area its just below her neck. Can obly be felt when se stretches it for a chin rub. Hoping its just some organ or something.

Good that you are having her already booked in! Any lump needs to be seen and diagnosed by a vet. it can be an abscess, a cyst or a lymph node in the neck area.

Fingers firmly crossed for Dolma!

• I took my girls to the vet and that has confused me more. Their usual vet wasnt available dur to some personal emergency and will be unavailable for half a month.
    The bet i took them to said its nothing they are just fat. They both weigh between 800-900gm and are 1-1/2 yrs old. And she said that thing in her neck is same as adams apple in human.
    Not satisfied i took them to another vet who says its a cyst filled with water. He wanted to give her an antibiotics injection. I took oral powder instead. Its colistin and trimethoprin powder I'm supposed to take a pinch and mix in little bit water and give them by a syringe, twice daily for seven days. If that wont work he will give the injection.
    What should i do give the antibiotics just to be safe or not. I also brought some probiotic in case i give the medicine to them.
    Any advise?

• I took my girls to the vet and that has confused me more. Their usual vet wasnt available dur to some personal emergency and will be unavailable for half a month.
    The bet i took them to said its nothing they are just fat. They both weigh between 800-900gm and are 1-1/2 yrs old. And she said that thing in her neck is same as adams apple in human.
    Not satisfied i took them to another vet who says its a cyst filled with water. He wanted to give her an antibiotics injection. I took oral powder instead. Its colistin and trimethoprin powder I'm supposed to take a pinch and mix in little bit water and give them by a syringe, twice daily for seven days. If that wont work he will give the injection.
    What should i do give the antibiotics just to be safe or not. I also brought some probiotic in case i give the medicine to them.
    Any advise?

Please give the antibiotic. Trimethoprin is the same ingredient that is in the UK antibiotic septrin and in the US brand bactrim. See a vet again asap if there is a deterioration or again after a week if there is no improvement. You give the probiotic about 1-2 hours after the antibiotic to help support the gut flora and fauna, again a pinch.
@Pebble

Thanks a lot. Already given 2 doses and she seems fine . Eating normally and stuff. Lets wait and watch.

Dolu is doing fine eating and playing and bullying her sister. The lump has gone down in size but not completely gone. Tommorow will be the 6th day of her medicines. Should i continue her medicines for another week or take her to the vet again?
Weighed her yesterday she is up by 30 gms in the last 15 days. Which is normal for her she is around 870gms now.
She isn't loosing weight or showing any signs of discomfort. What should i do.

I'm glad the lump's gone down! I can't give any advice but I am sending you and your girlies lots of healing wheeks. :)

Did the vet say give for 7 days - or to give for at least 7 days?

Normally they prescribe meds for a certain number of days with instruction to go back on the last day to see if the meds need to be continued. som abx need t least 2 weeks to clear stubborn infections, esepcially in hot climates where sometimes much higher doses are given.

If the vets said at least 7 days then continue with the meds for another week
If the vet said 7 days only then book an appointment but do not stop the antibiotic prior to the appt as that could cause more harm than good by helping to generate drug-resistant bugs.

He said atleast seven days so i guess i should continue. Its getting hotter here by the day so that also a factor. Thanks a lot.

Please continue and see your vet again if the lump is not totally gone or is getting better again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back