• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Something in the hay

D

DM270921

This morning when I was doing the guinea pig chores, I was about to add more of the hay for their bedding because they looked quite cold. Then, I noticed this weird thing in the hay: :yikes:
View attachment 154676View attachment 154677View attachment 154678View attachment 154679

To me it looks like a very dried corn kernel, but I'm not sure. Should I stop using the hay? Should I take the hay that's already in their cage out to stop them eating it? There have been bad reviews about this hay but I took my chances because previous bags had nothing wrong with them.

Also, are there any hays that others recommend for bedding (I prefer not to use the feeding on the floor because it's harder and less comfortable for them.) - I doubt I'll buy this again.

p.s. this isn't the feeding hay that I give them, that's a good-quality green Timothy, but they do nibble on it from time to time which worries me now that I see something in it that isn't hay.

It is definitely a dried corn cob, and won't have ruined the hay.
Farmers often grow corn and hay side by side, or they may have been processed in the same area, which is how the cob came to be in the bag.
Throw the cob away, but the hay will be fine and not harm your piggies if they nibble it.

unless your hay smells musty or I'd full of dust, it should be ok. I'm tempted to take my hay back. I had to buy a box and it's so course and long that they're not eating it.

Back