• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Soothing shampoo I can get from amazon?

Little update. I called the vets again and expressed my concern and unhappiness with Bettys treatment and I went to a different branch and saw a senior vet. Betty is even worse today so she must be injuring herself. She really is in a sorry state and is not moving about much. They gave her more antibiotics to stop all her skin becoming infected, anti parasite drops that I use once a week for 6 weeks and I asked for something to bathe her in that was anti fungal. She was given malaseb. I’ll bathe her tomorrow after her drops have soaked in. I’m hoping that she’s just a bit traumatised after the vet trip and being separated from Peggy as she’s not really made any attempt to eat. If she hasn’t attempted by later this evening, I will start her syringe feeding.

Glad you finally got some proper treatment from your vet, hope her appetite picks up too. Does she have some loxicom/metacam (same thing different brands) for pain relief and reducing inflammation?
I'm so sorry you find yourself in this situation, you're obviously a very caring and diligent piggy slave doing everything you can for poor Betty, just the vet initially let you down- but well done for insisting on seeing a senior vet and getting some better treatments for her x

One more question, she’s has red raw and bleeding skin covering most of her back end. Will the shampoo sting her? The vet said to wet her with warm water, massage the malaseb into her skin, leave for twenty minutes and then rinse. I’m dreading it to be honest as her skin is terrible, like large burns 😢

I wouldn’t bathe her in anything until 48 hours after the mites treatment, as it needs time to work. Always wait 48 hours after treating before any bathing.
If the vets think it is mites then Malaseb is unlikely to help and could make things worse.
personally I would give the ABs and mites treatment and do nothing for 48 hours and see if there is any improvement before considering bathing her.
In the rescue we do use Malaseb for fungal conditions but we never leave it in longer than 10 minutes and only when it is confirmed as fungal (which I don’t think yours is). It’s quite a harsh shampoo.
If the vets think it’s mites, then a mites shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas (lice n easy) is gentle and kills mites and other skin parasites would be a safer bet.
I am so sorry that you are not getting the best support from your vets.

I would also recommend that you keep the girls together (the stress of separation could be making things worse). And by now if it was fungal I expect that her cage mate would have shown signs of hair loss, too.

Little update. I called the vets again and expressed my concern and unhappiness with Bettys treatment and I went to a different branch and saw a senior vet. Betty is even worse today so she must be injuring herself. She really is in a sorry state and is not moving about much. They gave her more antibiotics to stop all her skin becoming infected, anti parasite drops that I use once a week for 6 weeks and I asked for something to bathe her in that was anti fungal. She was given malaseb. I’ll bathe her tomorrow after her drops have soaked in. I’m hoping that she’s just a bit traumatised after the vet trip and being separated from Peggy as she’s not really made any attempt to eat. If she hasn’t attempted by later this evening, I will start her syringe feeding.

Hi!

You always need to wait 48 hours between any skin application to allow any treatment to be fully absorbed so it can do its job properly.
That is the problem when both ivermectin and fungal treatment are topical (i.e. used on the skin) and they are not applied in different ways (like the fungal treatment orally, as our ringworm guide explains - you have got that link in one of my first posts).

PLEASE follow the hygiene tips in the guide! ringworm is the most aggressive and contagious species jumping problem that any pets can come with. It also transmits to humans. Good hygiene and a vet grade disinfectant/washing at high temperatures is mandatory to get on top of it and not turn this into a long running saga with repeated outbreaks.
Please keep in mind that things will get worse with ringworm before they can get better.

More information on mites and ringworm in these links here. PLEASE read them; they are VERY important!
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Hi sorry for lack of activity. As you can imagine, things are very up in the air! I’m a school teacher too so work is strange and was very hectic last week. I followed all the advice but couldn’t get the disinfectant so bought completely new fleeces and hideys and used the disinfectant I had. Things were going well with baths and parasite drops until this morning when I noticed betty has really bit herself again on her back. Overall, her skin appears clear and both girls are being treated and eating well. Just have to hope that this little bite and scratch was a one off. Maybe the shampoo irritated her? Thanks for your concern!

The first pic was 2 weeks ago and the second pic was taken on Saturday.

Attachments

• EAF5CF53-E190-4AF1-B7C2-95821C1C94BF.jpeg
    EAF5CF53-E190-4AF1-B7C2-95821C1C94BF.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 9
  • F40A4073-236A-444A-B253-B6324EE3CC89.jpeg
    F40A4073-236A-444A-B253-B6324EE3CC89.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 9
Back