• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sore and cloudy eye after previous ulcer treated successfully

threelittlepigs123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi.
Think we'll be taking our pig back to the vets tomorrow but wondering what might be going on here....
1 month ago she got a ulcer on her eye, green/yellow discharge. The vet looked at it with magnifying glass and lights, couldn't see anything in it and gave us Isathal.
Treated it and ulcer healed. The eye itself didn't look quite the same as the other one (a little smaller) but I thought could be due to some scar tissue and ulcer having changed the eye a bit. We treated the eye for a bit longer with the Isathal to be sure infection was gone.
However, this morning, the same eye is suddenly very cloudy, swollen eyelids, although no green/yellow discharge. Really surprised as yesterday morning it looked fine but it's obviously not ok now. She is eating and talking fine as usual at least...
Although we will take her to vet tomorrow
I'm worrying and wondering what might be happening, any ideas anyone. I feel like maybe there's something else going on that's more complex than the original infection 😔

No description available.

My guinea pig Hunny had an eye injury, it was pretty severe, so my vet sowed her eyelids together to keep blood supply to the eye to help it heal. And put her in antibiotics. But definately take her to the vet. She is super cute! I love her fur

It is good you are having her seen by the vet - this clearly needs treatment.
Even though it is the same eye as before, it could be a new injury.
Sadly some piggies just seem prone to eye injuries and hay pokes.
Hopefully the vet can prescribe something after checking to work out what has caused the problem this time.
Good luck with it all.

Thanks for the reassurance. Here's an update:
Pigs eye is improving now, had some hay in it and now on drops and it is starting to look better - will see how it all goes though! :)
Glad to hear she is improving. I agree with @Swissgreys some piggies seem to be a lot more prone than others to getting stuff in their eyes! Hopefully your piggy won't give you too many more scares.

I hope not!
She is very wise to anyone coming near her eye now so it's not going to be easy if she needs too many more drops in future! Haha!
Hey our boy is currently suffering with the same-ish thing. We’ve got isathal for a week, day 3 of treatment and it’s not really looking any better.. worse if anything! Less raw but bit more crusty, almost like it’s scabbing. How long did your piggy take to heal the first time? 😢

Attachments

• BE764A1D-053A-49E8-9652-ED6F898AEB3C.jpeg
    BE764A1D-053A-49E8-9652-ED6F898AEB3C.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 5
Back