• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sore- Could It Be Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat906

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was giving Butter a lovely little massage today and noticed that she had a sore on her back. It looks quite raw and red still. On closer inspection there is another smaller one as well. Is it mites or is it a scratch/bite from Coco?

I was giving Butter a lovely little massage today and noticed that she had a sore on her back. It looks quite raw and red still. On closer inspection there is another smaller one as well. Is it mites or is it a scratch/bite from Coco?

Please have it seen by a vet. It can be mange mites or fungal, which need different treatments. They can often look very similar in the early stages.
Here is our recommended vet locator: Guinea Pig Vet Locator

Thanks. I've got her booked in at the vets for this afternoon. Any advice on what happens/how much a consultation is likely to be? I've never taken a pet to the vet before!

It really varies, at my local vets that would be about £15 for the consult plus any medication but I think they are quite low cost and some vets would charge more just for the consult. You could always call in advance and ask.

Thanks. I've got her booked in at the vets for this afternoon. Any advice on what happens/how much a consultation is likely to be? I've never taken a pet to the vet before!

Please take all piggies in contact with Butter as they may also need treatment to prevent them from coning down with it. Most vets won't charge extra. I always take a "paw holding" companion if possible to the vets, as it is less stressful for the piggies.

You can enquire about consultation fees at the clinic. They can vary quite widely between £15-25 or even £30 for the consultation plus additional medication. Best of luck!

Update: the vet found a few more sores and thinks that they are scratches. Because there are 4 or 5 in a line he thinks she was caught on something and then pulled free. I guess this is good news because it means not an ongoing issue and. I treat men needed as there is no infection. However, there is one other scratch not in that line that I found, but couldn't find whilst in the vets.

I will continue to check Butter daily to see if new ones appear. And also try to find what she might have gotten caught on!

How long should the scratches/sores take to heal?

The vets are good and will see mites under a microscope. My piggy had it a while ago and we bathed her in chlorhexidine and gave her revolution drops and she was fine and the hair grew back fast

It depends on how deep the scratches are. Wounds tend to heal between a few days to two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back