• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sore eye?

Stripeyrache

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Lucille seems to be struggling with one of her eyes today. It’s maybe a tad weepy, she mostly is just trying to keep it shut - she can open it it’s not crusted over. Otherwise seems ok and her other eye is fine. I called the vet who said they were fully booked this morning but asked me to email photos (which I have). Any suggestions for what I can do in the meantime? With it being so hot too I’ve put some freezer blocks wrapped in microfibre cloth in the hutch to try and keep the girls cool. Might just bring them in though.
Being a first time piggy mum is nerve wracking!

Attachments

• 9600877A-2D7F-46B3-8E75-3B8A22D9D5AE.jpeg
    9600877A-2D7F-46B3-8E75-3B8A22D9D5AE.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 506FE1B3-8323-4D5C-A48B-BF52C750451F.jpeg
    506FE1B3-8323-4D5C-A48B-BF52C750451F.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 7
  • F95B238C-DA68-4BF7-9BCF-8FFA81670CD3.jpeg
    F95B238C-DA68-4BF7-9BCF-8FFA81670CD3.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 1342AD7C-F7DB-4191-9DF6-162581CF2FEE.jpeg
    1342AD7C-F7DB-4191-9DF6-162581CF2FEE.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 7
It’s possible it’s a haypoke and/or there’s something still in the eye. Hopefully the vet can fit you in soon though as eyes are best dealt with promptly. It’s likely they will want to have a look to see If there is anything still in there and put a dye in her eye to check for ulceration. She may well need antibiotics and pain relief.
It’s best to leave it alone until a vet has been able to have a look at it.

If it is warm in the hutch, then do bring them indoors. My outdoor piggies shed/hutch is blistering at the moment (currently sitting at 37 degrees in the shed), they’ve spent the last four days indoors with probably another four days inside before temperatures drop enough for them to move back home!

:agr: Just an aside that with regards eyes, you can take your piggy to a general vet - treatment for eyes is the same for cats and dogs as well. Hope you can get her seen soon.

Thank you! I’ll call the vet again if they don’t get back to me.

I’ve got a basic fabric and mesh pen which I’ll set up in our kitchen now (coolest room in the house!) I’ve just been speaking to lady selling an indoor cage on Facebook marketplace, it’s only minimum size, but the girls are small at the moment so it’ll be a good stopgap at least to see us through these few hot days.

Thank you! I’ll call the vet again if they don’t get back to me.

I’ve got a basic fabric and mesh pen which I’ll set up in our kitchen now (coolest room in the house!) I’ve just been speaking to lady selling an indoor cage on Facebook marketplace, it’s only minimum size, but the girls are small at the moment so it’ll be a good stopgap at least to see us through these few hot days.

All good ideas.

I use c&c grids which I have connected together using cable ties (all except the two end grids) so it concertinas up and takes up absolutely minimal storage space when not in use. I then put some plastic sheeting off the roll from a garden centre down on the floor, unfold the grids, pop in a couple of connnectors to give it rigidity, newspaper down and it is an instant, easy to store cage

The vets called back, they think she has an ulcer and should be seen, sooner rather than later but have said it isn’t urgent. They’ve said they don’t have any availability this week could I take her anywhere else. That alone has thrown me. They have a few branches locally, so I’ve called the one we used to registered with before we moved and booked in for 4pm tomorrow. This doesn’t feel right though. I don’t know if I’m just worrying because piggies are new to me!

The vets called back, they think she has an ulcer and should be seen, sooner rather than later but have said it isn’t urgent. They’ve said they don’t have any availability this week could I take her anywhere else. That alone has thrown me. They have a few branches locally, so I’ve called the one we used to registered with before we moved and booked in for 4pm tomorrow. This doesn’t feel right though. I don’t know if I’m just worrying because piggies are new to me!

Eyes ideally need to be seen within 24 hours.
You could always keep the appointment you’ve got for 4pm tomorrow booked for now but ring round others and perhaps see if they’ve got any earlier appointments. If not, the 4pm tomorrow is fine and the only thing you can do!

I am a bit shocked that a vets wouldn’t see an eye injury same day. They are classed as an emergency. It is true that any small animal vet can see an eye injury, so it’s worth phoning round. But I think I’d be calling your own vets back and pressing hard to be seen straight away.

I’ve rung round some more and luckily one of the other branches have said they’ll squeeze her in at the end of clinic. So I’ll take her in about an hour. Just getting the carrier ready for her.
Thanks for the reassurance!

I’ve rung round some more and luckily one of the other branches have said they’ll squeeze her in at the end of clinic. So I’ll take her in about an hour. Just getting the carrier ready for her.
Thanks for the reassurance!

That’s great news!
It really is best to get eye troubles dealt with quickly.

All is well. She does have an ulcer on her eye so we have two kinds of drops to administer. Taking her back in a week for a check up. Thank you for the supper and reassurance today 🥰

Back