Sore throat cause?

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have had GPs since a year ago, (2 for 9 months, 4 for the past 3 months) and for the past 9 months or so I have had an almost daily sore throat, usually worst in the evening. It was worse during a time when I switched to different hay for the girls, but not found a pattern to it the rest of the time. I don't like to visit doctors if I can help it, so haven't had it checked by them. It does feel like tonsillitis pain, but I had them removed as a child. I wear a mask when cleaning their home twice daily, and feeding them hay, and if needing to handle them. My children usually handle them for me when possible, as I find having them close to me seems to worsen my throat. They live in the sunroom next to the kitchen and living room, on fleece bedding, but spend half an hour or soon our living room with us every evening. I highly suspect my sore throat is down to either hay or dander, but there's no way I could ever re-home them. I'd put up with my throat trouble for years as we all love them so deeply - but it would be so nice if I could find a way to help my throat. So I'm wondering if anyone could offer any advice for me? Thank you 🙏

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a case of trial and error with anti histamines also.. hope you find one that works well

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've not tried them, as two kinds I took earlier in my life caused extreme sleepiness, so I'm hesitant to try then as I have a very busy life :-/ I will have a read up and see if I can find some with zero chance of sleepiness. Thanks.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’ve always been told the newer versions generally don’t cause drowsiness such as cetirizine. Its the older ones like chloramphenicol (piriton) that cause drowsiness.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I take a daily loratadine and it doesn’t cause me any drowsiness. Piriton makes me woozy.

horsefeather

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve always been told the newer versions generally don’t cause drowsiness such as cetirizine. Its the older ones like chloramphenicol (piriton) that cause drowsiness.
Cetirizine/Zyrtec knocks me out. I suffer chronic hives I don't know if this would help with a sore throat but I've been using Allegra (fexofentadine) along with Pepcid (heartburn medicine) works like magic against my hives. Allegra on its own worked ok. Someone told me about pepcid with it and was incredible. And I don't get sleepy

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is all helpful, thank you :-) I may find a time when I don't have so much going on, and give one a go and see if it helps my throat.