• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sores on mouth won't go away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Misty's sores on his mouth still won't go away. I just looked and there is puss comming out of it. He doesn't seem bothered by it and never has been. We've had him at the vets and he's been given antibiotics and everything but nothing worked. We've changed his bedding too so I asked in hte petshop coz they guy in there keeps piggies and he said it could be in his breeding. Just wondering if anyone knows anything else I could try. :-\

Hi,
Have you got any idea what is causing the mouth sores? Acidic food like tomatoes and apple or could it be a fungal mouth infection? I once had mouth sores with one of my boys and it really put him off his food so please keep a close eye on weight and eating habits. When my piggy had it I used Cymex and Orabase. (The orabase is just to keep the cymex on) and I used Daktarin Oral Gel just incase it was fungal.

My advice to you would be to get Misty to a rodetologist to check what is causing his sores and recommend the best treatment. Ring Vedra from the Cambridge Cavy Trust on 07721 026401 for advice and to find your nearest Rodentologist.

Good luck!

i once had a pig with mouth sores and I used a thing called genetian violet its a mauve liquid that you dab on the sore then it dried and you pull the scab off and then redo it until no scab forms it worked for me but cant remember where i got it from, it did'nt hurt the pig as the scab was dead but as Susie says get it checked out again and no apple etc

I've tried no apple and stuff and it didn't work. It seemed to start once we got him. I can't think of anything in my room that could be causing it. I think I've looked before for rodetologist before in Glasgow but I can't seem to find any. I'll try the violet stuff and if it doesn't work I'll take him back to the vet or try and find a rodetologist near here.

I forgot to ask will the violet stuff not stain his coat since it's white or dose it wash off?

yes it can stain but will grow out, maybe a health shop might sell it not sure but maybe Boots might do, it stains your fingers as well, think I got it from Peter Gurneys book but it definalty worked when all else failed,

If all else fails you should be able to get it from anywhere that sells horse stuff.. it's more commonly sold as "purple spray" well because it is quite purple. It will wash out.

so glad some one else has heard of it and that it now washes out I had purple hands for ages

There's a garden centre here that has a horse shop in it. I'm not sure if it's just clothing and stuff they sell. Should I be able to get it from there?

Scarby has this a lot. It seems to be exacerbated by eating fruit. Daktarin gel is the best, or you could try Fuciderm from your vet. It does take a while to work, then the lesions fall off and there is healthy skin underneath.

Most "older" chemists will have Genetian Violet - not Boots so much but the older independent ones in small towns etc as it is a very old remedy. It works though.........

the oldies are the besties, lol seems a few of you have heard of genetian violets,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back