• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sores/scabs Found On Lilac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayla

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
20141229_185623.jpg 20141229_190627.jpg
the white stuff in the second picture is neosporin, she was scratching at it but there aren't any fleas. i just discovered the sore in the second picture today the small scratches behind her ear maybe 3 or 4 days i figured she just scratched herself the wrong way.

Ayla

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
also i live in Ohio i have looked for cavy vets all over the internet previous to this just in case , so i had a vet to go to if anything like this happened and i can't find any. i am so worried ):

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I really do think she needs a vet, you can't treat skin issues on spec as if you treat for the wrong thing it could make it worse. This could be mange mites or some kind of fungal issue. Is there any vet near you that will even see a guinea pig? It may be worth asking on Guinea Lynx.

Hannah Boyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you have ivermectin I would begin treatment for mites as a precautionary measure if you are unable to take straight to vets. But vets is always best if unsure! :)

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely a vets visit, could be fungal or mites. The vet will be able to prescribe the relevant treatment for your little one

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had a case of mange mites that looked very similar to this. Ivermectin will only work for on mites by injection, so you need to find a vet that will see a guinea pig. Take as much information with you as you can regarding mites and fungal so you can discuss with the vet. Let us know how you get on.

Ayla

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i found a vet, i am so worried. does anyone think this looks fatal? i am taking her regardless i am just so worried. i love her so much

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Try not to panic, it is not fatal. The only way Mange mites or fungal issues can be fatal is if they are left untreated for a long time and cause the pig to scratch themselves so much that they have seizures. Your girl is nowhere near that stage yet. It's good that you have found a vet.

Ayla

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
went and checked on Lilac today and the sores and scabs are gone :)) i think it was just an itch gone wrong . the neosporin worked. very excited

Status
Not open for further replies.