• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sorry, bum question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have done a full search and I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, so many apologies in advance if this has been covered and I didn't manage to find it.

One of my little girls has been rubbing her bum on the ground for the last day or so. Both girls are in great health very shiny coats and extremely chatty with me when I feed and fuss them, get tons of veggies, plenty of nuggets fresh hay etc, but its only affecting one...Ginger. I have looked at her bum, can't see anything thats been described in the other threads, such as caked on poo, grease etc. Her bum looks the same as Peppers, so I'm at a bit of a loss really..anyone else had this with their girl piggies?

Many thanks for any help! x

Editing to add, I have made an appointment at the vets for her but was wondering if anyone can shed any light?

Last edited:

Bubble

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've noticed my dominant sow and middle-rank sow sometimes drag their bottoms on the floor for a little, often before going into a popcorn. They usually do it when they're out for floor time, or I've put new fleece in the cage and I think they're doing it to scent mark, as they have a scent gland at the bottom of their back.

I would suggest it could be that your girls are establishing their hierarchy and Ginger is asserting her authority by marking with her scent. If you're worried it's always best to take her to the vet though, as you're doing.

Reaction score
I've noticed my dominant sow and middle-rank sow sometimes drag their bottoms on the floor for a little, often before going into a popcorn. They usually do it when they're out for floor time, or I've put new fleece in the cage and I think they're doing it to scent mark, as they have a scent gland at the bottom of their back.

I would suggest it could be that your girls are establishing their hierarchy and Ginger is asserting her authority by marking with her scent. If you're worried it's always best to take her to the vet though, as you're doing.

Ah! I have noticed her do that! She kind of rubs her bum, then rolls up to sniff it then popcorns really high! I though she might be licking it after rubbing it as it was maybe sore, then jumping as though in a spasm of pain or something? Ginger is definately the more dominant of the two, they never squabble but its easy to see who's 'boss'. Ginger is definately more 'forward', and will nosey at what I'm doing when I'm doing a hutch and run clean, often staying nearby for the whole duration. Pepper is curious, she doesn't run away in terror or anything, but she'll hang back and be happy to observe from a distance. So scent and dominace marking really do seem to be right on the nail.

Thanks so much for your reply, its set my mind at rest a lot. I'll take her anyway as the appointment is booked, and the vet can give her a general once over at the same time. I'll take Pepper along too, as company for Ginger, they will be some comfort to each other I'm sure. (I don't really like the thought of Ginger being scared and by herself) I suppose if something does crop up with Ginger, then the vet can check Pepper at the same time and both get treated if somethings wrong.

Although after reading your post I'm sure everythings ok, I'll sleep better tonight now, thank you! xxxxxxx

Bubble

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Glad that's helped. I think you're doing the right thing taking them to the vet, as it will give you proper reassurance (don't just rely on what I've said since I can't see your piggie and am no vet!) but I'm sure she'll be fine :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Scent marking is common amongst piggies of either gender. Scent is a far more important sense for piggies than for us.

It is not bad to have both girls checked, as it will help you calm down and learn what it normal behaviour, so you can spot changes more easily.

Good that you are planning to take them both! I always take at least one other of my piggies with me as a "paw holder", unless the piggy in question is up for an op or GA. I find that the company helps a lot in calming down pigges.

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sounds like she is marking territory... whenever we clean the cage, both of my pigs run around in a frenzy, dragging their bums along the ground trying to get dibs on the good spots in the cage! I also notice more of this behaviour when one of the girls is in heat- including bumping their bums up against the other pig and popcorning. I really do think they are just fine, but a visit to the vet to get a baseline for any future visits is always a good thing... we do a 'well visit' every year to try to nip any problems in the bud.

Reaction score
Bubble, thank you, yes it did ease my mind a lot. I have only had the two girlies six months and although they were bought for my little girl who is four and a half, care etc has fallen to me (I knew it would as we got them and didn't mind in the slightest!) I have fallen desparately in love with them, and to see Ginger doing that did worry me an awful lot.
I'm sure I'll get to see more, and get used to their natural habits and ways in time. The vet was very kind, checked both over and she said they are in super condition. That was great for me to hear!

Wiebke, thank you so much! I am so glad its scent marking and nothing more sinister...I was even starting to think 'piggy cysitis' or some other kind of infection and imagined her to be in quite a bit of pain, good to know its just Ginger being a normal little piggie!
Yes the 'paw holding' worked well, I wouldn't have wanted to take Ginger by herself. Even though I'm aware its stressful for the both of them to go, I'm certain having each other there made it far less frightening for them. Bless, Pepper was actually quite enjoying the attention and was purring away for the vet when she was holding her, I felt quite a proud mummy lol!

Freela, thank you too! And yes now you say it I have thought back and noticed Ginger does it in the spot where I tend to put the fresh veggies down and while she is eating. Must be a good spot to get first dibs on! I generally hide stuff round the run and the hutch, but with the past few mornings being so cold I can't bear to make them hunt about too much and put them in one place (sometimes I warm the leaves etc I give them for a few seconds in the microwave or leave them out of the fridge an hour to warm through, so I want them to find them before they get cold and get a good warm feed) So this tends to be the spot Ginger 'bum rubs', makes sense now!
I'll keep my eye open for the bum bumping and popcorning while they do that...they zoom around popcorning like lunatics, but I haven't seen them do that. If they do, now I'll know what its all about!

Ladies, thank you all so much for your responses and help, its really comforting and nice to know that 'out of hours' there is help out there from ladies such as yourselves!

Thank you!x>>:rose

Status
Not open for further replies.