• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

sounds like a choke.. does anyone know what causes it?

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So Daisy, has always made this noise, usually once a night when/during eating... like a hiccup, choke or a wretch ... then she stops, like she has eaten too fast and
gulped too much air?

Tonight tho she did about 15 in a row.... I picked her up after she did about 6 in a row as this wasn't normal for her. she was out on the floor and she continued when i had her on my lap.... I lifted her chin gently, like i was giving her a chin rub - i don't why but i thought it might help..

Does anyone know what causes this? She stopped after about 15 but it was a bit concerning...

BoredBellaaa

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So Daisy, has always made this noise, usually once a night when/during eating... like a hiccup, choke or a wretch ... then she stops, like she has eaten too fast and
gulped too much air?

Tonight tho she did about 15 in a row.... I picked her up after she did about 6 in a row as this wasn't normal for her. she was out on the floor and she continued when i had her on my lap.... I lifted her chin gently, like i was giving her a chin rub - i don't why but i thought it might help..

Does anyone know what causes this? She stopped after about 15 but it was a bit concerning...
I think I know what you’re talking about, sometimes my boys will do that when they eat too fast or gulp too much air.

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mine sometimes do that when getting treats- I've always thought it was eating too fast/getting food caught.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Daisy does this from eating too fast but I also remember about a year or two ago she did loads in the space of a minute and I thought she was choking, nearly rushed her to the emergency vet it was so scary

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.... i thought it was to do with her eating too fast ..... but last night i was worried as it continued.... I told her at breakfast to slow down and gave her smaller pieces... they get so blooming frantic when the veggies come out!

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Ollie does this too sometimes, it can be very dramatic- the first time it happened I thought he was choking and having a seizure, for about 10 minutes he was hiccuping so much his whole body was spasming! Then just as I was about to call the emergency vet Tallulah jumped on his back and he farted, sneezed, and spinach goo came down his nose then he got up, shook himself, and went back to eating... think its a greedy thing :)

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
It's usually down to scoffing food too fast and shoving too much in their mouths. Worth just keeping an eye on it, though, as sometimes they can do a bit of coughing/choking if they have dental issues with food getting caught.

Eddie & Elvis

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Eddie does this occasionally but he kind of honks for a bit instead and then coughs. It scares me every time and I make sure to keep an eye on him until he coughs and sorts himself out. He doesn't stop eating while he's honking though greedy boy 🤣

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It's usually down to scoffing food too fast and shoving too much in their mouths. Worth just keeping an eye on it, though, as sometimes they can do a bit of coughing/choking if they have dental issues with food getting caught.
Will do... she has done it since she came here but never like last night! She didnt do it tonight ..🙄 hope not dental.. she will be off to Northampton if it is..

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Ollie does this too sometimes, it can be very dramatic- the first time it happened I thought he was choking and having a seizure, for about 10 minutes he was hiccuping so much his whole body was spasming! Then just as I was about to call the emergency vet Tallulah jumped on his back and he farted, sneezed, and spinach goo came down his nose then he got up, shook himself, and went back to eating... think its a greedy thing :)
Sorry but that made me chuckle about Tallulah jumping on his back..