• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sow From Hell

gizzy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My old sow Bella recently lost her long term partner and despite all attempts l have not been able to bond her! I have tried all sorts combinations from a single nuterd boars old and young to single, and pairs of sows, again old and young ! But all she wants to do is violently attack them with the sole intention of inflicting damage !

She never used to be like this in fact she would bond to other pigs with relevant ease in the past !

Any thoughts, ? Has the loss of her long term boar changed her forever, or maybe she will mellow with time?

Anyone experienced this sort of behaviour

Could she be grieving heavily still? Perhaps she's not ready for a new partner?

I would get her to the vets to check for ovarian cysts as the change in behaviour is extreme, better to be safe than sorry!

I agree with having her checked for ovarian cysts.
But this topic came up recently, and I know @Wiebke mentioned that some older sows just don't want to live with another pig.
I know that she has a few who liver near other pigs but on their own, and frankly if Wiebke can't find a friend in her whole herd, then it is probably safe to assume that there really are some piggies who prefer to live along.

I agree - have her checked for ovarian cysts, but be aware that older sows can prefer to not share their space with another piggy.

My surprise baby Tegan is one of them, and like with Bella, not for lack trying. Tegan just flies at any other piggy these days. she's now a live-alongside sow, together with an 8 year old permanent foster with the same problem - but both still require companionship through the bars or they'd become depressed again. :(
I am not the only member with this particular problem. it is not all that rare.

The Potteries also have an older sow who has been dated with older sows, younger sows and even baby sows. She's beaten them all up. She's also beaten up neutered boars. She's the aggressor each time. So the decision has been made to keep her alone in her own space next to other piggies. She is happier that way.
Some piggies don't seem to have read the guides to piggy bonding and companionship.

Just need some thoughts to help me make a decision regarding Bella,s future!

Clean bill of health, no O Cysts ect , Bella is still by her self! Although her body language is that of a pig that is lonely, ! The way she stands at the door of her cage waching the free range pigs makes me believe that she realy wants to intergated! But every time l try her with other pigs the story is the same , ! It starts of as any other bonding session , but as soon as the pig/s in the bonding start to show an interest in her , she attacks them!

There are only 2 option's l can think off , 1 buy a baby sow that is no sexual threat to her , or a pair of severely disabled sows , again no sexual threat !
It gos without saying , Both options would be done under total supervision but l am aware of the possible risk

If she were your sow would you try one of the 2 options? If so is there anything you could add that may help!

Or would you play it safe and leave well enough alone ?

I am not expert at all about piggies and such issues, but what I know is that guinea pigs are used as cavies because their hormonal response is just the same we humans have. Hormones influence the brain and behaviour and this is a well known fact, although the subject is still half misterious. Maybe (maybe!) a piggie (who is a social animal) can develop some weird attitude as much as we also do sometimes in several periods of our life. What to do? calling a psychologist? prescribing antideprassant or other similar stuff? of course it is not possible and it would not even be right...
I would not do anything...
I remember when I was a child and my mother used to invent any trick for introducing me any new friend, even when we were at the campingsite and I was so happy playing with the sand on my own or reading comics or even becoming fond of ONE girl (or 2, not more), usually always the german girls (don't know why... ).
Of course it seems a different story, but when I see my daughter, my piggies and even my husband on their own I simply don't care and consider this as a natural difference. And as you see, the reaction of a sow forced to live against her nature is always very... natural. I also would become aggressive if I was forced to live in some innatural situation (although of course we have an intelligence which contains our bad emotions ).
I would let her live like that, cuddling her even more; maybe she wants only a human mate now; and maybe she will change again...

My two sows were considered inseparable at the rescue and they have lived close each other for some time. Now they don't fight, but they want to be on their own, each one into a hidey where the other one has no access, although the hidey is very large and some months ago they used to sleep together there. During floor time they take a rest in two different corners of the kitchen. When one is in season the other one must keep her distance and if none is in season there is silence and peace but they don't sleep together.
My former piggie lived alone popcorning and showing happiness to us (more than these two sows). Your sow is healthy, maybe something is moving into her brain, something not known to the vets, but I would let her live as she prefers...

I used to have a piggy like that called Bullseye, she had been left alone with rabbits at the pet shop and been repeatedly attacked which left her quite traumatised..she never realy got over it and never, ever accepted any other piggies. In the end we just kept her next to others so she could hear and see them, that seemed to be enough for her. I expect trauma can change them just like people and losing a friend is pretty traumatic! :(

My old sow Bella recently lost her long term partner and despite all attempts l have not been able to bond her! I have tried all sorts combinations from a single nuterd boars old and young to single, and pairs of sows, again old and young ! But all she wants to do is violently attack them with the sole intention of inflicting damage !

She never used to be like this in fact she would bond to other pigs with relevant ease in the past !

Any thoughts, ? Has the loss of her long term boar changed her forever, or maybe she will mellow with time?

Anyone experienced this sort of behaviour
This is the exact same with my Cali (avatar). She has drawn blood before on the multiple piggies we tried to pair her with. The vet said she does not have ovarian cysts and it is unlikely she will get them.

This is so hard for you @gizzy because you want the best for her and all the general advice is that they should be kept in pairs/groups. But there are some piggies who are just destined to live alone. Is ther any way she could live alongside a companion e.g. In a divided hutch/cage but without having to share the floorspace? That way she would have company. The Potteries piggy I mentioned above has been tried with old and young, sows and neutered boars and even a deaf very submissive and non threatening piggy and she still attacked them all. She will now live out her days in a divided hutch for company.

This is so hard for you @gizzy because you want the best for her and all the general advice is that they should be kept in pairs/groups. But there are some piggies who are just destined to live alone. Is ther any way she could live alongside a companion e.g. In a divided hutch/cage but without having to share the floorspace? That way she would have company. The Potteries piggy I mentioned above has been tried with old and young, sows and neutered boars and even a deaf very submissive and non threatening piggy and she still attacked them all. She will now live out her days in a divided hutch for company.
My Cali is living like the Potteries piggy, but I am unable to get more piggies at this time.

Back