• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sow Grumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggly

_
Reaction score
Just curious about some behaviour between my two ladypigs. Most of the time they seem fine with one another with no problems, but every couple of days I hear a loud squeal from one girl. They're sat on my lap currently but have just done it for a third time while sat here this evening! Its celeste (boss lady) who snaps at daphne, though there is never any physical damage, its just a one-off each time without scuffles. Shes been booting daphne out of their choobe for the last few days too, though this morning was rumbling and popcorning everywhere! It is simply celeste being a grump?

I have 8 sows, they are grumpier than a bunch of women in an office when they get started! They and fine and then they bicker like they've heard a piece of hot gossip! Women!

Celeste is obviously enjoying throwing her weight around and being bossy. The screaming is submission screaming. The nipping is not painful as the top piggy is only letting the underpiggy feel his/her teeth as a sign of dominance. Chucking underpiggies out of prime property is also very normal dominance behaviour. make sure that you have a second hidey.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sow-behaviour.38561/

Celeste is obviously enjoying throwing her weight around and being bossy. The screaming is submission screaming. The nipping is not painful as the top piggy is only letting the underpiggy feel his/her teeth as a sign of dominance. Chucking underpiggies out of prime property is also very normal dominance behaviour. make sure that you have a second hidey.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sow-behaviour.38561/

Thanks Wiebke! That makes sense. They have two more tunnels at the moment but daphne is choosing to hover near celeste just outside the choobe. I'll move a hidey there and see if that helps her!

Celeste is well known as a little monster :)) as long as daphne isn't unhappy then all is well.

Daphne still wants to be near Celeste; just give her her own hidey next door. ;)

I am so glad you have put this up.
My two girls have recently started to have problems too!
Except my dominant one (Ethel) snaps she actually takes a chunk out of poor June's ear. Should I be worried?
June has some very odd shaped ears now.
Ethel seems to rumble-strut too, even though she is a girl (I've only ever seen it in boys before) and she kicks June out of the house too.
I had a quick read of the dominaant behaviours thred and I am just a tad unsure if I have problems or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back