• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sow Integration Question

Should I try again?

• Total voters

SAH

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I got my first guinea pig about six months ago, named Annabeth. She is perfectly fine without a cage mate, but I wanted to get another so she didn't feel lonely when I went to school during the day. I recently got a new guinea pig, who is about 2 years older than her, named Zoey. Zoey is very shy and jumpy around people. However, she lights up and runs around whenever she's near Annabeth. When I first introduced them, they were fine, until Zoey tried to hump Annabeth. Annabeth is usually fine around other animals, including dogs (and no I did not put her in any danger), but when Zoey did that, Annabeth immediately turned around and tried to bite her. Luckily, I got in between them. Another time this occurred when I had them both on my lap, they started chattering their teeth, and Annabeth again went for Zoey. I got in between them again, but Annabeth then went after me (their natural response). I'm hesitant to try again, but whenever I have both Annabeth and Zoey out on my lap (but separate), Zoey keeps trying to climb up me to Annabeth, and Annabeth still is a little grumpy around her. I feel bad, because whenever Zoey is not around Annabeth, she is jumpy and depressed. Should I try again to integrate them? I'm terrified that one of them will eventually draw blood. But then again, I feel that they both need a friend. Does anyone have any suggestions?​

Well guinea pigs definitely need friends so I would see it through for sure :) You're doing the right thing, it's far better than them being alone :)

You can't interrupt the humping I'm afraid, you have to let it happen. Although it looks rough to us it's the natural course of dominance for piggies and we actually do more harm than good by splitting them up or separating them.

What size cage/enclosure have they been bonding in? Have you got a pic of them?

Honestly the behaviour you've mentioned is perfectly normal, you've just gotta left it happen and let them sort out the hierarchy as it is very important. Unless blood is drawn or they're having an actual fight (not nipping/chasing, that is normal) then try to stick it out. It'll be worth it in the long run! :)

Thank you for the advice. I havent yet tried to put them in the same cage, I decided to start on neutral ground. They are both pretty big for guinea pigs, both about 2.5 lbs. The cage is about four feet long and a foot and a half wide.

Thank you for the advice. I havent yet tried to put them in the same cage, I decided to start on neutral ground. They are both pretty big for guinea pigs, both about 2.5 lbs. The cage is about four feet long and a foot and a half wide.

Neutral ground is a great idea, maybe do that for a few hours and then transfer them to their clean cage once they've settle down a bit :)

4 X 2 ft is the minimum recommended space for two piggies so your cage is on the small side and this may cause further bonding problems if you place it in together. You need a neutral floor space to introduce them on (not your lap) and I would recommend using tunnels and a bowl of distraction veg to see how they get on. Please don't intervene unless there is full on aggression/fighting. Humping, nipping and squeals of submission are all common parts of dominance and have to happen for your girls to love together

Please read the following guides carefully.
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Sow Behaviour

They have been written following years of experience of introducing piggies and managing the introductions.

Please make sure you have everything ready for a formal introduction in accordance with the guides. Learn what is normal behaviour and what is not. And then when you are fully prepared please try following the guidance in the guides. With sows you can introduce and reintroduce on several occasions. In the meantime it is worth getting them used to each other’s smells. Put each other’s beds into each other’s cages so that they get used to the scent of the other.
Good luck.

Hey guys! Just wanted to say thank you for lowering my anxiety about the integration. It took about an hour, but Zoey finally squealed! There was no major fighting, and even though the pair aren't best friends yet, they are comfortable around each other. Thanks again! <3

Well done. Be prepared for a continued period of adjustment over the next couple of weeks. Let us know how it goes

Back