• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sow Lives On Her Own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maisie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We got given Shady about 2 years ago, after my previous two boars passed away. We didn't get told her age, but we guess she's about 3 or 4. She was incredibly skittish and still is, but things have got a lot better.
Anyway, she previously had another sow to keep her company before we got her, but Rocky unfortunately got eaten by the neighbours cat! She hasn't had a friend since, and seems very content.
My sister recently bought 2 pups who are adorable and ridiculously playful! We introduced them briefly, and after some little squeaks and squabbles, Shady and one pup snuggled up together.
We've been pondering over whether to get Shady a friend, but we are rather unsure, even though we know that cavies are naturally very social animals.
There's all sort of obstacles...
Will she like her new friend? The pups did crawl into her cage once, and she began chasing them around the cage. Although, they won't ever live together, the pups have a different cage.
All of our other guineas have lived only lived to 5-6 years, if we do get her a friend, she'll most likely die before they even reach a similar age!
We can't really afford to have yet another guinea pig in a completely different cage. It's either introducing Shady to a friend that can share her cage, or just keep Shady on her own.

Goodness, could anyone give me some advice?

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am very sorry you lost Rocky. You are most welcome to post a tribute in the rainbow bridge thread.

If the pups are girls could you try to bond the three of them?

:wel:to the forum @maisie. I can tell you love Shady very much and you are right to want her to have a companion.

Don't hold it against her for chasing the pup that went into her cage. Although guinea pigs are social animals - they like their own space too and it is best to do bonding on neutral territory.

One option is as Piggfan has suggested - to try bonding the 3 guinea pigs. If you want to find Shady a friend all of her own, we highly recommend you contact your local rescue who can help you with bonding.

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your dilemma. Any sow will chase intruders around; that is why we recommend introduction son neutral ground. You girl is also bound to show fairly strong dominance as she establishes the lead, but the fact that she has ended up snuggled up with one of the babies is a VERY strong indicator that she is craving company and that she is hiiting it off with at least one of the babies straight away.

Could you put both cages next to each other so the piggies can get acquainted first? Then you can try formal introductions on neutral ground. Most traditional cages can be connect if you take the side panels out.

Please read these threads here; you are welcome to ask any questions you may have afterwards:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/introducing-and-re-introducing-guinea-pigs.38562/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sow-behaviour.38561/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/dominance-behaviours-in-guinea-pigs.28949/

Alternatively, you can consider looking for another adult/older piggy in a rescue you can set up a date or meet&greet so you can make sure that both girls get on. Which country are you in?

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back