Sows Chasing each other around

C1994

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello guys,

So we got a new pig a few weeks back and have introduced her to our older sow. Hazey, the older sow, didn't seem to bother by Toffee, our young sow. They seem to have taken to each other quite well, Toffee is eating with Hazey from the same bowl with no aggression at all that I can pick up on. The one thing that's making me think though is that they run after each other for a good 10 15 mins a day while they are free to roam. They seem to be having a blast doing it but just want to be 100% sure that it's something I don't need to keep a closer eye on.

Cheers folks

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Chasing is entirely normal - they’ll do it for a variety of reasons - dominance, being in season etc. You don’t need to worry Unless it is accompanied by signs of a failing bond

C1994

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Something to keep an eye on then. I've not heard any chattering teeth or any other signs of aggression. Hazey didn't even nip Toffee when they where introduced to each other.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Something to keep an eye on then. I've not heard any chattering teeth or any other signs of aggression. Hazey didn't even nip Toffee when they where introduced to each other.
it all sounds absolutely fine then

C1994

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Brilliant 😁 definitely surprised me with how chilled they are with each other, there's always a second bowl of veggies and nuggets there but they seem to like sharing the one bowl of food more.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Brilliant 😁 definitely surprised me with how chilled they are with each other, there's always a second bowl of veggies and nuggets there but they seem to like sharing the one bowl of food more.
that’s fine, they may not always want to share though! My boys started off sharing when they first came to me at 4 months old but two months later hormones hit and now they won’t share anything

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

So we got a new pig a few weeks back and have introduced her to our older sow. Hazey, the older sow, didn't seem to bother by Toffee, our young sow. They seem to have taken to each other quite well, Toffee is eating with Hazey from the same bowl with no aggression at all that I can pick up on. The one thing that's making me think though is that they run after each other for a good 10 15 mins a day while they are free to roam. They seem to be having a blast doing it but just want to be 100% sure that it's something I don't need to keep a closer eye on.

Cheers folks
It sounds like happy zoomies to me. Have a look at the videos in this guide here: 'Popcorning' and 'zooming' - joy and exuberance (videos)

Here is a link to sow dominance behaviours (including food bulling) and sows in season: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

And here is our bonding and social interactive behaviours guide which helps you to judge whether something is positive or negative; it contains lot of key behaviours that help you to judge a bond. A tense body language and tension in the air is always a sign that something is not right.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Sounds like happiness to me.
Mine chase each other around the cage just for the fun of it.
It sounds as if your 2 have bonded well.