• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sows needed you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

Anyone who knows me will know the story so far for Biscuit and Caramel, our two boars who are now just under 7 months old. To cut a long story short for those who don't, the boys have finally been separated and live in cages next door to each other.

They've become pretty good neighbours but even letting them out in the flat together is becoming frought with danger - we wanted to let them roam free about the place but that's been put on hold indefinitely.

I was just wondering if those of you who know a lot more than we do about piggies, would recommend a girlfriend each for them? (I would have to convince my wife of course). What do you think?

You will have to get the Boys neutered, please remember there are risks involved make sure it is a cavy savy vet!

They will not be able to roam free in pairs, my boys would sooner kill each other so they all need separate floortimes with there wifes.

Yeah the boys definitely can't play together anymore but they're not bad neighhbours. I'm just thinking if they might get a bit lonely in their cages. I would obviously get them neutered (not sure I can handle an ad hoc breeding programme otherwise!).

I'm just wondering if you think it's a good idea - do you think they would be happier?

I don't know Flinstones - they're nearly 7 months old now and show no sign of being able to get along anymore, do you really think it's possible they may bond later?

Yesterday they were both let out in the flat - Biscuit in one room and Caramel in another, after a few minutes they went looking for each other and immediately started fighting... The flat is totally piggy-safe now since we were hoping to have them free-range but it looks like it won't make any difference if they're just gonna fight all the time... :(

It would be great if they did bond again but don't want to get my hopes up. Should I leave it another couple of months then you think?

Do I think its possible yes, becaus I have heard of people doing it and it works. Is it guaranteed no.

At 7 months technically your boys are right in the middle of the hormones

Really - I thought they were practically adults?!?! I read somewhere that adolescence is between the ages of 3 - 5 months and that after 8 months or so, boars reach maturity. Do you mean we've got another four months of adolescence? Oh the humanity! :)

Really - I thought they were practically adults?!?! I read somewhere that adolescence is between the ages of 3 - 5 months and that after 8 months or so, boars reach maturity. Do you mean we've got another four months of adolescence? Oh the humanity! :)

The hormones can vary depending on the pig, I would say between 6 - 10 months. Marvin my boar, I'm convinced entered his at 4 months.

At 7 months technically they are in the peak of the hormones!

They aren't adults :)). I wouldn't try and rebond till there over a year.

(Disclaimer: This is based on what I have read and speaking to people who have done it. I haven't personally tried but I know it can work, but it's not guaranteed)

Last edited:
Personally I would get them neutered and a girlfriend each. It's a happy pairing most of the time (i've only ever had one sow who wouldn't accept a boar). If you decide to wait until after the hormonal stage you have 2 boars living lonely lives for 7 months a piece, and then they may not even accept each other then, only they are older being neutered - ideal age is before a year as they heal much quicker - that seems a long time for me when you could get them neutered and living with a sow in 4 - 6 weeks.

If you do get them neutered make sure it's a great vet and your hygience standards afterwards are amazing. I have my neutered boars on fleece and change it every single day for 2 weeks.

LOL!

I like the disclaimer, made me think of my solicitor friend :))

Caramel and Biscuit started being all hormonal at about age 3 months so they've had a good 3 1/2 - 4 months of it now. They were living together outside in the flat but the fighting got sooooo bad they had to get their own cage each. Now they've gone back to being cage piggies who get lots of individual floor time.

It never looks like they're enjoying themselves as much on their own as they used to together :(

Anyway, thanks - I'll see how it goes and maybe think about sows in a couple of months.

P.S. My boys aren't neutered and if we were to get sows, can you get neutered sows? I've never asked.

Hi hun

I didn't know the boys had been separated, must have missed your post :( really sorry it didn't work out, you tried so hard.

Well you know the situation with my lads - JoJo remains on his own and is the happiest he's ever been, he chatters aggressively when any pigs even get carried past his hutch, moody thing. Bumble moves in with his Missus next week! My advice would be if you're gona get it done, do it ASAP - Dodge was around 5-6 months when he was done and it went like a dream, whereas Bumbs at 9 months has been much slower to recover and, as you know, now has a blooming abcess!

If I were you I would get them both done for the sake of futureproofing if nothing else. Then if when they get to around 15 months they do bond again happily, that's fab, BUT if it doesn't work at least they are ready and waiting to find wives, with all the scary risks out of the way while they are still young and fighting fit. I personally would never get a boy done over a year old just from my own experience seeing how much difference just a few months makes.

Good luck xx

Thanks so much for that :)

My wife is dead against getting the boys done at the moment and I think she wants to see if they can be reintroduced successfully in a month or two.

Yeah, unfortunately we ended up having to separate Biscuit and Caramel. We were very close to getting them totally free-range and house trained but they would find each other around the flat for the sole purpose of having a little scrap so we decided it was time they had a cage each.

They haven't been free-ranged since but we're hopeful we can try again at a later date. They get plenty of floor time and Biscuit is a happy little piggy since he's finally gone a few weeks with no health issues (touch wood!).

Just a daft question though - can you get sows done? I've never heard of it. If poor old Bumbs (bless him, he has a hard time too doesn't he poor lamb :( ) suffered so much from his op. I'm loathed to do so too late, as you say, with our two. We wouldn't have to if sows can be done though would we? I've never heard anyone mention it...

Big hugs from us by the way and all our best wishes with Bumble :)

My two girls are done, they are very rare. It is major surgery for a sow. Rugby Rabbit and Guinea pig welfare neuter all animals. I got my girls from there!

I think their waiting list is very long now.

Thanks - that's another case to make to my wife about getting the boys done if the time comes to get them some lady friends. It sounds like it's a lot easier and more of a straight forward procedure for boys than girls.

Definitely easier for the boys...to be incredibly blunt, have a look at where the tadpoles live compared to the girlies eggs...two snips compared to an incision, a ferret around, and a sealing back up, eek!

Thanks for the hugs, Bumble seems completely better now, and my goodness Pixie (his wife to be) is looking forward to meeting him, they were up all night wheeking to each other last night (they woke me up at 5am!).

I hope Biscuit continues his spell of good luck, bless him.

Piggy hormones won't settle completely down until they have reach the end of their growth period, which can be anytime between 12-15 months. I would NOT recommend to try to reintroduce them earlier - it is bound to go wrong pretty quickly and there there is never a guarantee that it will work out! Most boars have another hormonal rush around 8-10 months and it can be a very fraught time for boar couples.

Whoever gave you that advice was probably breeding sows (who should not have their fist pregnancy after that time), but it does not apply to growth and hormonal patterns in guinea pigs. Sorry for your girlfriend!

If you can find a good and experienced piggy vet (and a bit of asking around and travelling may be well worth it!), I would recommend neutering. Your boys are at the ideal age for quick healing right now and while you won't be able to ever have your boys together again, they will be VERY happy with a girl each. A bonded cross gender pair is the most stable bonding of them all.

Sows can be neutered, but it's major abdominal surgery for them, which is risky for little animals. Having boars neutered is safer than having sows spayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back