• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sows Not Keen on Neutered Boar Coming Back

Evenstar

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have just put my neutered boar back with some of the girls he was living with before it became apparent he wasn’t a girl. They have all had babies and only one was left in that hutch. I went out to check on them all and the baby had been nipped on the ear drawing blood. Her mother ran away from her when I put her down near her, I have moved her to another hutch with 2 sows and the other babies. She looks like the boar and I think one of the girls nipped her by mistake. The adults are all now in corners ignoring each other and nobody else is hurt, the boar has had baby boys in with him without any problems so I don’t think it is him being aggressive. Have I done the best thing for tonight? I did clean the hutch first and put fresh bedding in.

I have just put my neutered boar back with some of the girls he was living with before it became apparent he wasn’t a girl. They have all had babies and only one was left in that hutch. I went out to check on them all and the baby had been nipped on the ear drawing blood. Her mother ran away from her when I put her down near her, I have moved her to another hutch with 2 sows and the other babies. She looks like the boar and I think one of the girls nipped her by mistake. The adults are all now in corners ignoring each other and nobody else is hurt, the boar has had baby boys in with him without any problems so I don’t think it is him being aggressive. Have I done the best thing for tonight? I did clean the hutch first and put fresh bedding in.

Hi!

Please always introduce in neutral space that has never been part of any piggy's territory. Guinea pigs have a much stronger sense of smell than us, so cleaning out a hutch is still known group territory with the new piggy being perceived as intruder and tensions between all piggies so much higher, which can quickly lead to overreactions and instinctive defence bites. :(
Your piggies sound very stressed and upset. Please give them time to calm down and get their bearings first.

Please take the time to carefully read these guides here:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
" Biting" And What You Can Do

Thank you, I was up at 6.30 to check on them and everyone is doing well and settled down. I haven’t had a neutered boar before, he was living with them previously and I have only ever had sows before and never had problems with mixing them. Having read the guides I realise I have been lucky!

Thank you, I was up at 6.30 to check on them and everyone is doing well and settled down. I haven’t had a neutered boar before, he was living with them previously and I have only ever had sows before and never had problems with mixing them. Having read the guides I realise I have been lucky!

If he has been with your sows before, then acceptance was more likely guaranteed; but piggies still don't like intruders into their territory and can react rather badly.

Have you waited 6 weeks post neutering op? Just because the little baby in my avatar picture is the daughter of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post-op boar (not one of mine), so I know first-hand that it really can happen as late as that! Little Tegan is now coming up towards 8 years now. :(
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Yes I waited almost 7 weeks as he had some baby boars I separated at 3 weeks and I wanted them to have an adult with them till they left.

The baby boys went to a rescue to be paired with adult boars and won’t be leaving there till 8 weeks and they were over 4 weeks when I took them there and over 300 grams

Yes I waited almost 7 weeks as he had some baby boars I separated at 3 weeks and I wanted them to have an adult with them till they left.

Thank you! We want to make sure that there are no unpleasant surprises as there is so much misinformation on post-neutering op waiting periods, including vets.

The baby boys went to a rescue to be paired with adult boars and won’t be leaving there till 8 weeks and they were over 4 weeks when I took them there and over 300 grams

In this case, keep an eye on your sows in case they have been caught out. :(

Back