• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Spayed Sows - longer healthier life?

lovelygirl

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m just about to say goodbye to my last girlie, who has mammary tumours. My kids and I are devastated after losing her sister last summer to the same thing.

do any rescues spay their sows and is there good evidence to do it? I know it’s common with rabbits if females don’t breed to suffer with female cancers.

Spaying is an invasive op and should only be carried out for medical reasons so rescues don’t tend to spay their females before rehoming.

I’ve had 10 females (currently 3) and haven’t lost any to females cancers. I think that female cancers is actually quite rare in guinea pigs but don’t quote me on that.

I’m sorry that you lost both your girls to mammary tumours x

I have recently had two sows spayed due to ovarian cysts - which is another problem with sows. I don’t know any rescue around here that spays sows but many do neuter boars. I think I’ll be sticking to boars in future!

This will be my third sow to mammary cancer, I think I will just have to run the risk of boar falling out as my boars in the past have all outlived the sows I have. She would have been 5 in July so not super old.

I’m just about to say goodbye to my last girlie, who has mammary tumours. My kids and I are devastated after losing her sister last summer to the same thing.

do any rescues spay their sows and is there good evidence to do it? I know it’s common with rabbits if females don’t breed to suffer with female cancers.

The two already spayed sows I adopted not long before the only UK rescue with a full neutering and spaying policy closed down at the start of 2014 have both lived a normal life span but not longer than my normal sows (Nesta died aged 5 in the wake of an incisor removal due to a root abscess from which she never fully recovered and Hafren died aged 7 naturally from old age).

Several sows of mine who needed a spay for medical reasons (due to a womb going wrong, large and fast growing ovarian cysts or being found to have a cyst that would have turned cancerous if left) have however lived a year or two longer to reach a normal average life span, which they would have otherwise not had.

I am very sorry that you are obviously dealing with an inherited genetic disposition in your piggies. :(

Mammary tumours and cancerous ovarian cysts are not all that common in guinea pigs, unlike in rabbits where the cancer risk in does is 100% and a spay is absolutely necessary.
Right now, the risk of fatal operation complications in guinea pig sows is roughly balanced against the need of a full spay, which is a major and decidedly more expensive operation; so spays in the UK usually happen because the actual medical need outweighs the general risk.
The fatality rate in sow spaying ops in the UK is still higher than that in boar neutering ops, so the drive in the UK is very much opting for boar neutering in order to enable long term stable cross gender bonds.

There is currently more of a drive for preventative blanket spaying in the USA where vet cost are higher but vet access is often more limited and emergencies cannot always be seen as quickly as they need compared to the UK.

Thanks Wiebke I am glad I’m not going crazy and that there was a rescue that used to, shame they closed down.

I believe @furryfriends (TEAS) was considering spaying all the sows that came through the rescue as a potential problem solver for cysts etc in the future and might be able to give you some more information on this

I wouldn’t hesitate to routinely spay all females, before rehoming, but unfortunately the cost is the deciding factor! We already neuter all boars and ideally I’d gets the sows spayed. When ovarian/ uterine problems occur, the guinea pig is often older, making surgery a higher risk. After seeing how many guinea pigs get cystic ovaries/hormonal problems, I really think that spaying, when they’re fit and healthy, would be a good idea. However, I am in the very privileged situation, where I have a vet with an excellent track record for spaying.

Back