• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Spaying sows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cavykind

Hi,
Just reading on another thread a post by Hopperhaven where she mentions spaying sows.

Just wondering if anyone does this routinely. I don't, partly because of the cost, realistically I couldn't afford to spay every sow coming into care. Also, i think it is a big operation to put a small animal through without good enough reason. I've had a few guineas spayed because of large ovarian cysts, so I know it can be safely done.

I can see the plus side of course ~
* You can rehome her without fear of someone breeding from her.
* She'll never develop uterine or ovarian problems.
Can't think of anything other good reasons ?

I'm not saying it is wrong to spay routinely, so please don't get me wrong. Just not something I could do, or would do even if funds allowed.
I've often had calls from people looking for a spayed sow as a companion to their boar, they'd rather do this than neuter their pet. Now whether it is because they are worried about putting him under anaesthesia or don't want to pay the bill, I'm not sure ::)

I do wonder how many of them would be happy to compensate the rescue (generally our bank account) on adopting such a female? Mmmm...not many :(
In my area a routine sow spay would cost about £90.00 I'd guess. I don't however think my vet would be happy doing it on a healthy guinea pig. I think I'll discuss it with him though, just out of curiosity.

Barbara

Barbara

I agree with you Barbara. I wouldn't neuter a boar for the same reason. I (my opinion) don't think it's fair or right to neuter/spay them for no real reason.

Animal Rescue and Care which is based in Twickenham do not routinely spay females, if there was a medical need to spay them we would have to find the money to do this, however finances do not allow us to do this routinely. If we did it would mean that we would have to ask for a minimum donation for each of our piggies which would be of a figure which would be prohibitive to most people.

kellyandpiggies said:
I agree with you Barbara. I wouldn't neuter a boar for the same reason. I (my opinion) don't think it's fair or right to neuter/spay them for no real reason.

I'll be honest I have neutered quite a lot of rescue boars for the simple reason that without being neutered it is a nightmare to find them homes :(
The majority of calls I receive are looking either for a pair of same gender babies to grow up together, or an adult sow to "replace" the loss of one from a bonded pair of girls. People rarely contact me looking for an adult boar :(

I don't book every male in that comes through the door, but in the past if the number of adult males starts to rise dramatically, neutering really increases the chance of a home for the boars :)
I suppose it's neutering for practical, rather than health reasons :-\
(Obviously I wouldn't put an oldie or a frail guinea through an operation)

Neutering a male is a quicker, less invasive procedure, though not without some risk...

Barbara

I understand that. :) Just to me, it's not fair for them to be put under. I'm not saying that it's wrong what you and other rescues do :)

If I could, I would have all un-neutered adult males from rescues! :)

Hear Hear Kelly! I like don't believe in putting any animal under anesthetic unless it is for a medical reason. I understand Rescues do this to prevent unnecessary breeding but what a sad world this is for even a poor little guinea pig to have to have his knobs off because a human being can't be trusted not to leave him with a female! Sad but true! Its like dogs if they brought back the dog licence and made it the price of a TV licence then people would think twice about keeping them if they wanna pay loads for a puppy they wouldn't mind paying for a licence too! I would be more than happy to do that in fact they should have some sort of licence to keep pets.

I wouldn't have a female spayed unless there was a medical need. It is a big operation and most vets wouldn't want to do it unless really necessary. The anaesthetic in itself is a worry, they are so small that if something goes wrong there are so many complications and if the guinea is depressed or stressed afterwards and refuses to eat, it's very difficult to get them going again. It would be tragic if it went wrong.

I have 2 neutered males, and both are fine.... The procedures meant I could keep them and they had the company of not 1 but several girlfriends....

With the right before and after care, and a good vet any animal can make a full recovery and live a happy and healthy life. Obviously some don't unfortunately make it, but no one can predict anything like this... It is the same for us humans, and any other animal!

This is just my opinion and in no way shape or form do I expect others to agree/disagree with me on this, just wanted to have a little input :)

I was always very anti neutering - it was never anything I would have had done to my pigs even though they are all grumpy, hormonal single boars!

I have changed my mind a bit now though. My rex sow Whinnie will not tolerate a female cagemate so when I saw a neutered male at a rescue near me I enquired and he came to live with me! They are such a happy couple and it is lovely to see them interact with each other - it is a unique kind of friendship I think.

Wilson came home to me 3 weeks after his op and there was not a mark left on him - they heal amazingly quickly if the op is done well.

I have had my male castrated so he now lives with his daughter and girlfriend. I have had a couple of male rescue's castrated so that I could pair them up with females. We charge about £56 to spay a female guinea pig but I havent seen any yet at work.

I am suprised that there are places that do spay sows as a matter of course. Some interesting points

The anaesthetic in itself is a worry, they are so small that if something goes wrong there are so many complications and if the guinea is depressed or stressed afterwards and refuses to eat, it's very difficult to get them going again. It would be tragic if it went wrong.

I guess this would apply to boars too really.

Does anyone know the amount of sows who get uterine/ovarian cancer? I know in rabbits it's about 85% so it's now recommended to spay all females to prevent it.

If I was to be honest I have to say that I wouldn't be willing to pay an adoption fee to cover the costs of a spay.

Sows are prone to ovarian cysts which would be a benefit to having them spayed. However, I had an older sow spayed that had developed an advanced case of cysts when I adopted her and they found a tumour the size of a golf ball in her uterus. Despite me staying up for 3 days without sleep I still lost her. So, even with an experienced vet and owner there can still be complications. I would never routinely spay as a result.

I do, however, have a neutered male - he was neutered when I adopted him by his previous owner, not the rescue. I've never seen the boy as happy as he is when he's with his 3 girlfriends!

daftscotslass said:
I do, however, have a neutered male - he was neutered when I adopted him by his previous owner, not the rescue. I've never seen the boy as happy as he is when he's with his 3 girlfriends!

Yes, it's lovely to see isn't it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back