• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Spending time with guinea-pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 4 guinea-pigs (2 girls, 2 boys) and I feel like I don't spend enough time with them. I feel really rubbish and they really deserve better. In the mornings because of school I only just have enough time to give them their vegetables and say a quick hello to them all, and I've tried getting up earlier but there's no lights in the shed and it's difficult with just a torch to see to give them all attention. I get home at 4, and go outside to feed them and clean their vetbed and they walk around by my feet in the shed. I don't hold them very much, probably only about once a week but I really do prefer to watch them (it's strange I know :)) ) They are all quite tame and friendly and wait by the bars for me but I still don't feel like I spend enough time with them. At the weekends I can sit with them for hours cleaning them out and playing with them but I just feel like in the week I don't give them the attention they deserve, and I wanted to bring them indoors in the evenings for an hour or two (because of the light inside so I can see them :)) ) but I don't know what the temperature difference is like from the shed to the house.
I'm more worried about Barry and Roy because they live seperatley so I don't want them to get lonely :(
Anyway, sorry for the little rant, just feeling a bit rubbish today.

Don't worry, it sounds like you're a great piggy owner! It's hard, especially in the winter, but soon it will be lighter in the mornings and evenings and easier. And it sounds like they're getting lots of attention anyway! I think guinea pigs sometimes just like you to watch them, more than being picked up anyway :)

This time of year with all the dark mornings and nights is a pain. I wouldn't recommend you bring them in to play if your house is warm. If you have a room where you could turn the radiators off, it might be ok provided it wasn't icy cold outside, as there would still be a big temp difference. xx

Aww, you are a very good piggy owner indeed and your pigs seem very happy to me. My girls are housed outside as well although we decided to bring them indoors when we had the really cold snap before Christmas.

During the winter, we keep the heating off in our back room and the girls come inside and play in there provided it isn't icy cold outside xx

Dont worry about it i go to uni during the week, and pop in at six in the morning to say hello to the boys change their water have a chin tickle, veggie time etc and then i dont see them again till eight at night when i change their water again and put the blanket down :) So they dont get much one to one attention but i also would love to give them more time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back