• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sperm mark?

annar96

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is this mark on the fleece sperm? I haven't washed this one yet but others are coming out the wash with hard white marks on them. Is there anything I can do about it ?IMG_20181101_212522250_HDR.jpgIMG_20181101_212557019.jpg

That looks like calcium deposit laden urine to me. Does it feel gritty when you touch it - before washing? I’m sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon to correct me if I’m wrong.

Calcium deposit as said above, if gritty between you fingers cut down calcium in diet. If very fine powder its normal, sort of like flour.

Thanks for that Just back from being away... I'll check the feel of it today. Also, Deeno is drinking loads of water. Loads. Would that fit this calcium picture? How do we reduce calcium in his diet? We have two boars

With regard to reducing calcium, look at the diet. If you feed lots of parsley, kale, spinach, rocket...then they are just a few of the high calcium foods which should not be fed daily. You will find helpful information on the feeding guides on this site of lower calcium veggies. Look at the type of pellets you feed them and check them against the ‘nugget comparison chart’ on this site (literally search for those three words and it will come up). Also by filtering their drinking water if you live in a hard water area

Calcium deposit as said above, if gritty between you fingers cut down calcium in diet. If very fine powder its normal, sort of like flour.
I just felt the dried marks. They aren't gritty. It's like flour. Is that normal then, to have these white marks all over their bedding?

I just felt the dried marks. They aren't gritty. It's like flour. Is that normal then, to have these white marks all over their bedding?
Yea well ive had a boar live to 7 who done them all the time. Never had a bladder issue in the 5 years i had him. Its just excess calcium peed out. But i did start filtering water and giving less high calcium veg as often, didnt change the powdery pee though. But i was giving too many pellets. Should only give 1 table spoon per day

15416876011377328008376646486566.jpg15416876594712029503773008446941.jpg15416877407658483091793376942089.jpg
Yea well ive had a boar live to 7 who done them all the time. Never had a bladder issue in the 5 years i had him. Its just excess calcium peed out. But i did start filtering water and giving less high calcium veg as often, didnt change the powdery pee though. But i was giving too many pellets. Should only give 1 table spoon per day
We re giving one tablespoon of the pellets above. This is the hay we re feeding too. We don't currently filter water but could think about that.
Why would Deeno be drinking so much? He s easily drinking two or three times as much as Cloud....

View attachment 99919View attachment 99920View attachment 99921

We re giving one tablespoon of the pellets above. This is the hay we re feeding too. We don't currently filter water but could think about that.
Why would Deeno be drinking so much? He s easily drinking two or three times as much as Cloud....
if one pig is eating more nuggets than the other this could cause more drinking. Some pigs just do drink more than others, or it can be a sign of diabetes, but thats all i know. I would say drinking alot is good. Flushing the bladder out well. My sow eats those nuggets at the moment, they are good, cheap and do not contain alfalfa hay which i believe is high in calcium, another word for alfalfa is lucerne.

With regard to reducing calcium, look at the diet. If you feed lots of parsley, kale, spinach, rocket...then they are just a few of the high calcium foods which should not be fed daily. You will find helpful information on the feeding guides on this site of lower calcium veggies. Look at the type of pellets you feed them and check them against the ‘nugget comparison chart’ on this site (literally search for those three words and it will come up). Also by filtering their drinking water if you live in a hard water area
We are currently giving spring greens and cut out all other veg cos thought they had diarrhoea! But we can start reintroducing other veg.
if one pig is eating more nuggets than the other this could cause more drinking. Some pigs just do drink more than others, or it can be a sign of diabetes, but thats all i know. I would say drinking alot is good. Flushing the bladder out well. My sow eats those nuggets at the moment, they are good, cheap and do not contain alfalfa hay which i believe is high in calcium, another word for alfalfa is lucerne.
Thankyou for all of that! Is the hay okay for them? We re only two weeks into having two boars - my 22 year old son is main carer- but hand up! I'm feeling a bit like a clukky hen atm and anything slightly unusual I'm feeling anxious about 😲

Eating a lot of hay causes piggies to drink a lot too, our piggies totally empty the "hay room" waterbottle every day. And sometime we see calcium pee on the fleece but mostly 1 or 2 splotches from 5 piggies over 3 or 4 days but they get very few pellets and all grain free and only get calcium rich veg 2 or 3 times a week so I'm not too worried...

They need a variety of veg to get all the nutrients they need particularly vit c. Just don’t feed a lot of high calcium veg every day.

The hay is fine as long as it is nice and green and fresh smelling. Hay needs to be the main part of their diet, about 80%. My two get bedded on meadow hay, although they do eat it as well, mostly because it is considerably cheaper to use as bedding, and I put their Timothy hay in a separate area as that is their hay of choice to eat.

We are currently giving spring greens and cut out all other veg cos thought they had diarrhoea! But we can start reintroducing other veg.

Red bell peppers are one of the best everyday veg to feed. High vit c

Red peppers and cucumber are low calcium piggy favorite veggies, also beansprouts are good for vit C.

Eating a lot of hay causes piggies to drink a lot too, our piggies totally empty the "hay room" waterbottle every day. And sometime we see calcium pee on the fleece but mostly 1 or 2 splotches from 5 piggies over 3 or 4 days but they get very few pellets and all grain free and only get calcium rich veg 2 or 3 times a week so I'm not too worried...
What are you classing as very few pellets? There are a lot of calcium splodges!

1 tablespoonful of pellets per piggy per day. If there are any pellets left after 20 mins thats probably too many...

Back