• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Split bond

harmonichs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I made a post on here about. 1 1/2 weeks ago. I ended up splitting my two boars, Momo and Pua, because Momo had been bullying and chasing Pua relentlessly. There wasn’t any horrible aggression, Pua just would not stand up for himself and became very withdrawn. Since the split, Pua has perked up so much! He has even started popcorning again which I haven’t seen for quite some time. On the other side, Momo seems to be very sad and depressed. He spends all of his time just looking through the bars for his “friend.” I know that I cannot put them back together, but would it be wise to get Momo a friend? I would probably wait until Momo is a little older, so he gets through his teenage stage. I would also find a way to make enough space for the both of them + have Pua side by side for through bar interaction. I just don’t want Momo to become depressed, but also don’t want a new pig to just get bullied. Any advice?

If he really is unhappy by himself, then he will need a new friend but you won’t be able to wait until he is through his teens as that is another six months away (you said in your other post they are 8-9 months old).
Do bear in mind that he isn’t lonely as they can interact through the bars but it may be he will be happier with a new live in friend.

While can be trickier to bond teenage boars but all bonds come down to character compatibility, so it doesn’t matter how old he is, he still needs to find a character compatible friend. If you can take him dating at a rescue centre then he can choose his own new friend. If you do get a piggy on spec from a pet shop for example, you will need to have a plan b in case the bond fails, and then you will have three single piggies.
An alternative is to neuter Momo, have his six week wait to become infertile and then bond him with a sow. Again, via dating at a rescue is best.
If you get Momo a new boar friend, then their cage needs to be 180x60cm. If Pua is to remain single, then his cage will need to be side by side at all times and measure a minimum of 120x60cm.
If you get Momo neutered and find him a sow then their recommended cage size would be 150x60cm, again with Pua having a 120x60 side by side. However, in this case you would have to be sure Pua’s cage is incredibly secure and has a lid, as he will be highly tempted and determined to escape the cage and get in with the sow and Momo (which would cause a fight).
Another alternative, is to get them both a new friend each - either neutering them both and finding them each a sow; or taking them both dating and finding them both a boar. If this were to happen, then again each boar pair needs a 180x60 cage or a boar/sow pair a recommended 150x60, but as each piggy will have their own live in friend, then the cages can be stacked one on top of the other which will save floor space and as each piggy has their own friend, then nobody will be lonely.

Thank you for your help! I would love to go to a rescue but don’t know of any nearby. Is there somewhere I can find a good rescue? I live on the east coast of the US.

I’ve been thinking of keeping Pua by himself, he seems to be doing a lot better. He doesn’t feel the need to gorge himself on his veggies like he did with Momo. He also is a lot more social with me. I’m not totally against getting them both a new bud, but I would only get Pua a new friend if I could take him to a rescue so he can pick his own. I work at a pet store so I’m able to watch the piggies in the store and see bits of their personalities, but they’re still so young, and I don’t know if it’s worth the risk. Is there anywhere I could read on what type of personalities do best with one another? I know it always comes down to the individual pig, but I would like to do some research incase I have no other option. I would be up for neutering them and getting them both a sow, but I doubt my parents would want me having 4 pigs!

Thank you for your help! I would love to go to a rescue but don’t know of any nearby. Is there somewhere I can find a good rescue? I live on the east coast of the US.

I’ve been thinking of keeping Pua by himself, he seems to be doing a lot better. He doesn’t feel the need to gorge himself on his veggies like he did with Momo. He also is a lot more social with me. I’m not totally against getting them both a new bud, but I would only get Pua a new friend if I could take him to a rescue so he can pick his own. I work at a pet store so I’m able to watch the piggies in the store and see bits of their personalities, but they’re still so young, and I don’t know if it’s worth the risk. Is there anywhere I could read on what type of personalities do best with one another? I know it always comes down to the individual pig, but I would like to do some research incase I have no other option. I would be up for neutering them and getting them both a sow, but I doubt my parents would want me having 4 pigs!

For a bond to work you need one submissive and one dominant and with your young pet shop piggies their desire to be with each other will be greatest at the moment and won’t be a completely true reflection on how things are going to be with each other when they hit their teens let, alone with your piggy. If you know Momo is dominant and you can see a submissive piggy In your pet shop piggies, then that may help guide you, but it is not a guarantee of things working out. If you don’t have a rescue near you and a new friend has to come from a pet shop, then ultimately you have to do what is right for Momo but you also need to be prepared with plan b in case things don’t work out and then they need to live apart (ie, three separate cages)

this website can help with rescues Guinea Lynx :: Rescue Organizations

These are our boar guides

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Back