• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Square cage.

Mandy2020

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I am new to Guinea pigs so I am just looking for a bit of advice on their cages. I have found a cage my little friends. 100cm by 100cm. Will this be big enough for 2 Guinea pigs. Also the breeder sells her own forage which is supposed to be really good. Does forage replace hay or veggies or is it like a treat. Sorry I don't mean to sound thick 😕 I just want our new family members to be happy. I also have them a playpen which is 120cm by 120 cms which I plan on keeping them in throughout the day and putting them back into their cages on a night. Any advice would be really appreciated.

What sex are the piggies?
A 100 x 100 cage is around 10 square feet. The minimum size for two sows is 8 square feet. Two boars need 12 square feet. So the cage is fine for two sows but not for two boars.

no forage does not replace hay.
80% of their food intake each day needs to be hay
50g of veg (amounts to around 15% of the food intake)
1 tablespoon of pellets (amounts to around 5% of the daily food intake)
A small amount of dried forage per day is fine but it’s much more of a treat

this set of guides will provide further information, but do keep us asking us questions, we are more than happy to help!

New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information

Last edited:
What sex are the piggies?
A 100 x 100 cage is around 10 square feet. The minimum size for two sows is 8 square feet. Two boars need 12 square feet. So, the cage is fine for two sows, but not for two boars.

no forage does not replace hay.
80% of their food intake each day needs to be hay
50g of veg (amounts to around 15% of the food intake)
1 tablespoon of pellets (amounts to around 5% of the daily food intake)
A small amount of dried forage per day is fine but it’s much more of a treat
They are 2 sows 😁. Great information on the food. Thank you so much for your help. X

They are 2 sows 😁. Great information on the food. Thank you so much for your help. X

do double check the size of the cage you’ve seen though as I don’t think I’ve seen a little friends commercial cage measuring 100 x 100?
Upper levels do not count and cannot be added towards the cage size. Piggies are ground roaming and need their cage to be on one level.

do double check the size of the cage you’ve seen though as I don’t think I’ve seen a little friends commercial cage measuring 100 x 100?
Upper levels do not count and cannot be added towards the cage size. Piggies are ground roaming and need their cage to be on one level.
It's deffo 100cm by 100 cm all on one floor. It's from little pet warehouse. 😊👍 Thanks x

I would also double check the sex of the piggies before you take them home. I’m afraid there have been incidences of missexed piggies, ending in pregnancies. Also book them in to see a vet a week from when you bring them home.

And:wel:

Illustrated Sexing Guide
Vet Locator

Back