• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Stale Urine Around Bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
On 2 occasions - when I have picked Bess up, her bottom has been wet and smelt strongly of stale urine.

On this recent occasion, I also noticed some small patches of blood on their bedding as well.

Bess is currently on a course of Baytril but the problem settled straight away (before the Baytril would have had time to take effect) . In fact, when I was putting her back in her cage after her vet's appointment- she wee'd on me and her urine was clear and didn't smell offensive. She also had her weight checked at the vets - and she's gained weight. She is eating fine.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It sounds like the infection either didn't fully clear up or that it has returned.

How long has she been on baytril for and are you giving her a probiotic up to an hour after the baytril to help settle her stomach? Could you ask your vet for Septrin as this is a better antibiotic for UTI and cystitis.

Did your vet test her urine with a urine dip stick to see exactly what was in her urine? When a guinea pig has a UTI, not all of the urine passed will have visible blood / smell stale etc but a urine test stick will pick the infection up even if the sample looks clear.

She may also benefit from a pain relief / anti inflammatory such as metacam.

If she is still having problems after the course of antibiotics please ask for an x - ray to check for bladder stones.

My Enoch had a UTI towards the end of last year. An x - ray revealed a very tiny (smaller than a pin head) bladder stone that we were advised to leave due to it's position but he was on Septrin and metacam for a good 4 weeks before the infection completely cleared.

All the best

Last edited:

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It sounds like the infection either didn't fully clear up or that it has returned.

How long has she been on baytril for and are you giving her a probiotic up to an hour after the baytril to help settle her stomach? Could you ask your vet for Septrin as this is a better antibiotic for UTI and cystitis.

Did your vet test her urine with a urine dip stick to see exactly what was in her urine? When a guinea pig has a UTI, not all of the urine passed will have visible blood / smell stale etc but a urine test stick will pick the infection up even if the sample looks clear.

She may also benefit from a pain relief / anti inflammatory such as metacam.

If she is still having problems after the course of antibiotics please ask for an x - ray to check for bladder stones.

My Enoch had a UTI towards the end of last year. An x - ray revealed a very tiny (smaller than a pin head) bladder stone that we were advised to leave due to it's position but he was on Septrin and metacam for a good 4 weeks before the infection completely cleared.

All the best
Thanks for the reply. - Bess is on Metacam too. I am kicking myself as I didn't have a pot handy when Bess wee'd on me - I'd have got a perfect midstream sample if I did! She has been on Baytril since Monday
She is booked in for a check up next Monday so will continue with Baytril until check up.
I just thought it odd that both times I have noticed her bum is wet , they have been "one off's".
I will get a specimen to the vet ASAP

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It sounds like you have caught it early. UTI's can take a few weeks until they completely clear up and she hasn't been on the baytril for long at all. It's good you have the metacam.

It would be good if you could get a urine sample to the vets.

Do you have a clean syringe? The best way is to place Bess in to something clean and wipable such as a cat carrier / washing up bowl and then suck the urine up with the syringe. Place it in to the fridge until you can get to the vets. The fresher the sample the better when you take it.

It could take Bess a while to wee (the longest one of my piggies made me wait was four hours!) although that's extreme. You can feed her watery veg such as cucumber to help her along a bit.

Good luck

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Agree with asking the vet about Septrin and taking along a wee sample.

I just had a couple of other thoughts to maybe ask the vet about:

Ovarian cysts - can make them leak urine
Does she move about much? it may be she is urine stained as she is sat in one spot, which makes me wonder about mobility problems. Heart problems can also make them lethargic and not move about much. It is most likely not either of these but something to consider further down the line if needed.

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Agree with asking the vet about Septrin and taking along a wee sample.

I just had a couple of other thoughts to maybe ask the vet about:

Ovarian cysts - can make them leak urine
Does she move about much? it may be she is urine stained as she is sat in one spot, which makes me wonder about mobility problems. Heart problems can also make them lethargic and not move about much. It is most likely not either of these but something to consider further down the line if needed.
Thanks. When I 1st took her in , the vet mentioned it could be a few different things so I am sure vet's just ruling out UTI 1st.
It's good to have a list of questions for the vet. Bess is a rescue pig so I have no idea how old she is. She seems to be as mobile as the others.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Like Helen I was going to say get her checked for ovarian cysts. Bumbles main symptom from cysts was incontinence

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
My old girl Mrs Fudge has had similar. Infection ruled out but she has been diagnosed with arthritis in her knees. Big improvement since she started having regular metacam. She's moving around more and tending to her self care/hygiene better.

Status
Not open for further replies.