• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Stanley's scratched/ulcerated his eye...

Helen82

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Obviously not wishing to be outdone by Primrose and her cystitis, I went in to see the guinea pigs a few hours ago and saw that Stanley's left eye was shut and weeping. In short, I took him to the emergency vets and he'd got a small shard of hay stuck under the rim of his eye and the green dye showed that his eye is scratched/ulcerated. He had a painkiller injection (Metacam) at the vets and when I got him home I've put his first eye drop in (Isathal) and I've got to lubricate his eye twice more tonight. And from tomorrow I've got to do his eye drops twice, and the lubricating gel three times, staggered at five intervals through the day, aswell as getting Primrose's Cystaphan into her in the morning... He'll have to go to the normal vets on Monday for a checkup and another Metacam injection and we'll take it from there. It never rains but it pours! Just hoping that I've caught this early enough with Stanley and his eye will recover. Any healing thoughts for the pair of them (and my bank balance...) would be greatly appreciated!

20181028_154051.jpg
Stanley and his left eye in happier times!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously not wishing to be outdone by Primrose and her cystitis, I went in to see the guinea pigs a few hours ago and saw that Stanley's left eye was shut and weeping. In short, I took him to the emergency vets and he'd got a small shard of hay stuck under the rim of his eye and the green dye showed that his eye is scratched/ulcerated. He had a painkiller injection (Metacam) at the vets and when I got him home I've put his first eye drop in (Isathal) and I've got to lubricate his eye twice more tonight. And from tomorrow I've got to do his eye drops twice, and the lubricating gel three times, staggered at five intervals through the day, aswell as getting Primrose's Cystaphan into her in the morning... He'll have to go to the normal vets on Monday for a checkup and another Metacam injection and we'll take it from there. It never rains but it pours! Just hoping that I've caught this early enough with Stanley and his eye will recover. Any healing thoughts for the pair of them (and my bank balance...) would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 106461
Stanley and his left eye in happier times!
All the best! I hope that it is only a minor injury that heals quickly.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Well done for spotting it so soon and getting him straight to the vet! That will give him the best possible chance of recovery. We've not had a haypoke yet, but I think its very common and most pigs are ok if they get prompt treatment. Healing wheeks from me and my piggies x

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch. Poor Stanley.
Ralph did the same recently - came out of his bed to see me with a piece of hay under his top lid. He was angelic while I removed it. He had an ulcerated cornea but the Isathal had it healed in just a little over a week. I hope that Stanley’s heals as well and as quickly as Ralph’s.

Helen82

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ouch. Poor Stanley.
Ralph did the same recently - came out of his bed to see me with a piece of hay under his top lid. He was angelic while I removed it. He had an ulcerated cornea but the Isathal had it healed in just a little over a week. I hope that Stanley’s heals as well and as quickly as Ralph’s.
Thank you! I do hope so.