• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Starting to smell :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don't know why but I am starting to get some unpleasant smells coming from the boys' cage which is right next to the couch I sit on. I have been using megazorb topped with hay for a while now and never used to have a problem.

I change the hay every day along with some of the megazorb but even after it's just changed I can smell it.

I have been using the 5 bags of dust free hay which has been great. This time around I bought the 5 bags from the dust free hay company (I previously got from elsewhere). The hay, however, feels slightly damp. I called them and they seemed to think that was ok.

I am looking for thoughts as to why I am suddenly getting these smells. It really isn't very pleasant. Is it possible it's coming from the boys themselves?

I think its the hay hun..if its damp it would smell fousty :(

Have you recently changed cages or not had them very long...?

When I first brought my piggys back from my mum's I started to regret it as I had them in my kitchen and although, like you, I changed their bedding daily they stunk to HIGH HEAVEN! I honestly thought that's what I was going to have to do forever. Luckily though after a few weeks the smell died down as they settled in. I think they must have been seriously putting their scent down!

Either that or I have gotten used to the smell and my house stinks of boar scent! :))

I've had them since August and they have been in the same cage for a few months now. It's only in the last few weeks I have noticed the smell.

I moved the cage for cleaning yesterday and Cocoa has been peeing up the wall..i know she does it i've seen her hitting Ollie in the face with it...i do hope she stops that..i dont want pee all over the walls mallethead

Oh dear that doesn't sound great. I hope she stops doing that soon. I can understand you not wanting pee all over the walls x

Hi Sandra

What veggies have the boys been eating lately? I find that brassicas - cabbage/broccoli/etc - do make them pong more. Hay can be musty - have a sniff of the hay in the bag to see if it's the same smell.

HTH

Suzy x

Strange you mention this as I was just thinking yesterday how my cages were smelling. I use fleece and towels and do a complete change every other day and up till now thats been fine with virtually no smell at all.

Yesterday when I cleaned them the towels were sodden in parts and a bit whiffy .... started to wonder about trying something else or cleaning every day but I dont think my washing machine would cope.... and in the winter getting all the fleeces washed and dried has been a challenge....

Hope you get yours sorted out - I wouldnt expect the hay to be damp though....

xx

I don't think the hay is smelling as it should be but it's not as unpleasant as the smell I am smelling. Maybe it's a combination of the hay and their poop etc. I opened another bag of hay tonight and that is damp too. I have to use it just now until I get some more tomorrow and I will see if that makes any difference.

I don't give them a lot of broccoli etc. They have pepper, baby corn, cucumber, tomato, salad leaves and a bit parsley xx

Strange you mention this as I was just thinking yesterday how my cages were smelling. I use fleece and towels and do a complete change every other day and up till now thats been fine with virtually no smell at all.

Yesterday when I cleaned them the towels were sodden in parts and a bit whiffy .... started to wonder about trying something else or cleaning every day but I dont think my washing machine would cope.... and in the winter getting all the fleeces washed and dried has been a challenge....

Hope you get yours sorted out - I wouldnt expect the hay to be damp though....

xx

I hope you find a solution too xx

could it be just because its got a big warmer now? I noticed mine smell tonight. Its like a bad cabbage smell :)>>>

I have been using the 5 bags of dust free hay which has been great. This time around I bought the 5 bags from the dust free hay company (I previously got from elsewhere). The hay, however, feels slightly damp. I called them and they seemed to think that was ok.

was it the green bags of hay you got from them?
The first time I ordered from them I got A 2 bale of soft hay and was very impressed, so the next time I ordered I got the 5 pack of the green plastic bagged stuff and every bag was a bit damp smelling and I felt they didnt eat as much of it so a lot was wasted, then I ordered a 10 pack of the soft hay again and it is amazing the difference and if you can afford it ordering the 10 pack only works out at £1 more per bag and my lot love it.

Last edited:
The first time I ordered from them I got A 2 bale of soft hay and was very impressed, so the next time I ordered I got the 5 pack of the green plastic bagged stuff and every bag was a bit damp smelling and I felt they didnt eat as much of it so a lot was wasted, then I ordered a 10 pack of the soft hay again and it is amazing the difference and if you can afford it ordering the 10 pack only works out at £1 more per bag and my lot love it.

Yes, it was the 5 pack of the green plastic bagged hay. I've had it before from elsewhere and it was fine. This is the first time from the dust free hay company. The problem with getting the 10 pack is where to store it. Also it might take months to get through it.

could it be just because its got a big warmer now? I noticed mine smell tonight. Its like a bad cabbage smell :)>>>

We have always had the heating on so I don't think it's any warmer than normal. I noticed the smell a couple of weeks before we went on holiday. I do think the smell started at the time I started using the new hay.

The 10 bags of soft hay you got, was it in the hessian or poly? Was the quantity in each bag the same as the plastic bags? I am thinking of ordering and worrying about where to keep it when I get it.

The 10 bags of soft hay you got, was it in the hessian or poly? Was the quantity in each bag the same as the plastic bags? I am thinking of ordering and worrying about where to keep it when I get it.

it was the poly same size bags as the green ones but far superior quality.

Well I think it is now safe to say that it was the hay that was causing the smell. Since getting the soft hay in the poly bags I haven't had any problem. It has a lovely smell and very good quality. My boys seem to enjoy it more too :)

I have 12 boars in the same area, it never smells pleasant lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back