• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Stasis Episode - Need Advice

squeaksandcarrots

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Penny had a stasis episode yesterday morning and is still not back to normal. I took her to the vet where she got fluids underneath the skin and the vet gave me pain medication to give her. I’ve been giving Penny cisapride, baby gas relief drops, and critical care. Penny seems to be eating more but her poops are still abnormal. She’s never had an episode this long and I’m really worried. Is there anything else I can do or do I just continue giving her medicine/critical care and wait it out?

Continue as you are. poop output is behind by a couple of days so it will be a while before you see poops normalise.

What baby gas relief drops is she being given? simeticone is not really recommended as it gathers the gas into a large bubble which can make it more difficult and more painful for piggies

Weigh her daily so you can be sure she is in fact eating enough

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Continue as you are. poop output is behind by a couple of days so it will be a while before you see poops normalise.

What baby gas relief drops is she being given? simeticone is not really recommended as it gathers the gas into a large bubble which can make it more difficult and more painful for piggies

Weigh her daily so you can be sure she is in fact eating enough

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Oh no, I’ve been giving her simethicone gas drops. Should I cut that out then? Or is there another type I should give her?

Do cut it out. I’m not sure what else you can give her but I’m sure someone will advise you in good time.

Hi

Du you have some herbal gripe water or anti-baby colic preparations in your supermarkets? Even something like chamomile tea can help.

They are often better at dispersing gas bubbles. Simethicone collects the gas into one large bubble, which is easier to expel for predators or omnivores like human but unfortunately not for guinea pigs with their much longer and narrower gut slings.

You can find more tips and information in our GI stasis guide link; like the 'empty conveyor space' gap that reflects the time the gut has not been working.

Hi

Du you have some herbal gripe water or anti-baby colic preparations in your supermarkets? Even something like chamomile tea can help.

They are often better at dispersing gas bubbles. Simethicone collects the gas into one large bubble, which is easier to expel for predators or omnivores like human but unfortunately not for guinea pigs with their much longer and narrower gut slings.

You can find more tips and information in our GI stasis guide link; like the 'empty conveyor space' gap that reflects the time the gut has not been working.
Thank you for the information!

Penny is doing a lot better this morning :) she is eating and her size looks normal now. Her poops even look more normal! I’m not letting my guard down, though. I’m going to continue to keep an eye on her today!

I am glad that it is just one of the quick bounce back GI stasis. With a little luck, she will never have another one again.

Back