Sterile at 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Katie

Hiya I'm new to the forum

I have a guinea pig sparkle, she'll be 10 on the 6th of sept, she lives with Lottie at the moment but they've never really bonded and couldn't care less if the other was there or not! I have another guinea Alfie who has extreme dental problems so is very little and can't be neutered, their personalitys suit so well and I think they would be so happy together as they probably have a similar life expectancy left. Now.. do you think that Alfie could get Sparkle pregnant? she's so old that I would have thought it was damn near impossible but I suppose miracles do happen! It would also, I would have thought, be extremely likely that Alfie is sterile with all his health problems and stunted growth. So could they live together?

Reaction score
Hi Katie,

wow 10 years old thats amazing fora guinea pig! Not sure I would want to risk changing the arrangements at this stage. The girls might just be laid back with each other, but comfortable. Look forward to some pictures and hearing more. :)

K

Katie

I know she's very special :), they haven't been together very long, only a couple of months as sadly I lost Alice a few months ago and so bonded Lottie with Sparkle and Hugo, then a short while later we lost Hugo :( Hugo, Sparkle and Alice bonded very closely, as did Hugo and Lottie but Sparkle was very much the outsider with Hugo and Lottie, and when we lost Hugo they seperated even further apart. I just feel they'd both be happier with different partners

Reaction score
OK, Ii suppose there is still a chance that she could get pregnant but you may want to follow your instinct and give it a go? Difficult one :-\ Keep us informed.

Reaction score
I know Michellemuffin has had a couple of "old girls" :)

So she may be able to help

Welcome to the forum :)

Bev x x

Reaction score
I imagine pairing up a pig of 10 with another might be quite stressful. I understand your reasons but I think for that reason and jst incase she were to get pregnant at her age it would be best to give it a miss. Obviously your decision... but those are my thoughts.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Wow - a piggy of 10 years! :)

Personally, I wouldn't change things around due to his age.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.