• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Stiff Legs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amsy1991

My guinea pig misty has been walking around as if her back legs are stiff.Then her sister,Pearl, goes up to her and Misty gets agressive. They start to fight and i have to clam Misty down.It happens everywhere.Their out door hutch,indoor hutch and their run outside!Does anyone know what i should do?

Amsy

That doesn't sound too good to me. If she gets aggressive, I would say its because she is in pain. But I'm not expert and could be talking rubbish. How old is she? I would take her to see a rodentologist or a vet personally. Are you a member of the CCT? Vedra will be able to help you.

She is going to be 2 on the 3rd February.No I'm not a member of the CCT.What is it?Thanks for the advice.

DebbieR said:
That doesn't sound too good to me. If she gets aggressive, I would say its because she is in pain. But I'm not expert and could be talking rubbish. How old is she? I would take her to see a rodentologist or a vet personally. Are you a member of the CCT? Vedra will be able to help you.

The CCT is the Cambridge Cavy Trust. They are rodentologists and know a lot more about guinea pigs than most vets. Vets don't have to learn about guinea pigs as they are classed as exotic animals and treat them the same way as they would any mammal not taking into account ailments that are species specific to guinea pigs.
There is something on here about the CCT. If you can't get there, they will be able to tell you if there us a trained rodentologist in your area. Also if you text Vedra, she will text you back and tell you when to call her and she can give advice over the phone but obviously, paying the membership fee (£25 a year) helps them carry on the good work they do.

Here's a link to tell you about them
http://www.diddly-di.fsnet.co.uk/Links-Health.htm

DebbieR said:
The CCT is the Cambridge Cavy Trust. They are rodentologists and know a lot more about guinea pigs than most vets. Vets don't have to learn about guinea pigs as they are classed as exotic animals and treat them the same way as they would any mammal not taking into account ailments that are species specific to guinea pigs.
There is something on here about the CCT. If you can't get there, they will be able to tell you if there us a trained rodentologist in your area. Also if you text Vedra, she will text you back and tell you when to call her and she can give advice over the phone but obviously, paying the membership fee (£25 a year) helps them carry on the good work they do.

Here's a link to tell you about them
http://www.diddly-di.fsnet.co.uk/Links-Health.htm

Thanks for that, i'll check it out!Thanks again you all a great help.I would have never understood why she did it if i hadn't asked you!

If this helps she purrs deeply when she does it.I dont know if she is scent marking or something.

It "sounds" like she's rumble strutting - which is what boys do to show their dominance & can precede further aggressive behaviour but i don't know if girls do this having only got a couple of girls last week. :-\

Niki :)

Niki said:
It "sounds" like she's rumble strutting - which is what boys do to show their dominance & can precede further aggressive behaviour but i don't know if girls do this having only got a couple of girls last week. :-\

Yes I agree with Niki ... dominant sows do this rumble-strutting too, especially if one (or both) sows are in season.

There you go. I told you I was talking rubbish. :D ;D If you're worried though, contact the CCT.

Amsy1991 said:
My guinea pig misty has been walking around as if her back legs are stiff.Then her sister,Pearl, goes up to her and Misty gets agressive. They start to fight and i have to clam Misty down.It happens everywhere.Their out door hutch,indoor hutch and their run outside!Does anyone know what i should do?

Amsy

If this is a recent behaviour change (the legs bit) then I would advise the vets (based upon s.thing that happened with my own guinea pig)

If this is not a recent change in her behaviour then it deffo sounds like rumble strutting.

Niki said:

That sounds a lot like what she is doing.

chinakit said:
Yes I agree with Niki ... dominant sows do this rumble-strutting too, especially if one (or both) sows are in season.

Yes Misty is the dominate one.How do you tell if a guinea pig is in season?

DebbieR said:
There you go. I told you I was talking rubbish. :D ;D If you're worried though, contact the CCT.

Heh but you tried and thats the main thing! :) ;)Thanks a lot!

Billies Mum said:
If this is a recent behaviour change (the legs bit) then I would advise the vets (based upon s.thing that happened with my own guinea pig)

If this is not a recent change in her behaviour then it deffo sounds like rumble strutting.

Hmm yes thats a good idea.Thanks!

Can never be too careful IMO.

You get to instinctively know when sthing is out of character and requires attention

Billies Mum said:
Can never be too careful IMO.

You get to instinctively know when sthing is out of character and requires attention

Thats very true!Hehe :) I would like to know,though,how you tell if a guinea pig is in season.Anyone know? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back