• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Still cant find anything else for her to eat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpdfs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Lucy still wont eat anything but Lettuce and Grass. I'm almost out of grass and hard to get now getting almost winter here, cant really cut much. Is it bad to just give her lettuce? I seriously have tried everything that everyone told me to on here and nothing else works, only her guinea pig pellets, grass and lettuce... ughh so frustrating as to why she wont eat anything else, I just feel bad only being able to give her lettuce when Buddy will eat anything and everything with no issues.

Have you tried the dried grass (redi grass) and someone on here suggested to me a bag of dried mix (dandelion and other stuff) it's about £4 I think.
Sorry if this has already been posted but I don't think that I saw your other post xx
Hope lucy's eating better soon xx

Really dark green stuff seems to be most popular e.g. Baby leaf spinach. Usually very popular. Also parsley which can be grown in a pot on the window ledge (as can grass).

Carrot tops also very popular. Never met a small and furry that wouldn't eat dandelion but it's the wrong time if year for that as well.

Usually living with a cage mate that isn't fussy helps as if someone else will eat it it's gotta be good :)

Also just keep on trying different things. I've not had fussy guinea pigs but when I rescue a chinchilla or degu they've rarely seen fresh food before and act like you're trying to poison them. But I just keep on putting small pieces of different stuff in (and removing them in a couple of hours if uneaten) and they slowly improve.

Paula

Paula

Just persist and concentrate on offering a variety green stuff - spinach, lettuce mixes, herbs, carrot greens. Your poor girl has obviously grown up with a very limited diet. It is not easy to shift some piggies from it.

Try to find a supplier of Readigrass in the US - it is dried grass and she will like that!

Really dark green stuff seems to be most popular e.g. Baby leaf spinach. Usually very popular. Also parsley which can be grown in a pot on the window ledge (as can grass).

Carrot tops also very popular. Never met a small and furry that wouldn't eat dandelion but it's the wrong time if year for that as well.

Usually living with a cage mate that isn't fussy helps as if someone else will eat it it's gotta be good :)

Also just keep on trying different things. I've not had fussy guinea pigs but when I rescue a chinchilla or degu they've rarely seen fresh food before and act like you're trying to poison them. But I just keep on putting small pieces of different stuff in (and removing them in a couple of hours if uneaten) and they slowly improve.

Paula

Paula

She runs away from parsley wont get anywhere near it, its like it disgusts her. She has buddy but he was neutered and its not time for them to be living together yet, she is also blind which makes it a tad more difficult...

Have you tried the dried grass (redi grass) and someone on here suggested to me a bag of dried mix (dandelion and other stuff) it's about £4 I think.
Sorry if this has already been posted but I don't think that I saw your other post xx
Hope lucy's eating better soon xx

Can i get that in the states? I already have Timioty hay, she eats that just fine but i wanted to mix it up

Just persist and concentrate on offering a variety green stuff - spinach, lettuce mixes, herbs, carrot greens. Your poor girl has obviously grown up with a very limited diet. It is not easy to shift some piggies from it.

Try to find a supplier of Readigrass in the US - it is dried grass and she will like that!

yeah we adopted her and believe she was mistreated so who knows what she was fed.. I saw Catgrass is sold at petsmart and it says dried grass just like the real grass? guess ill try that and see what happens

She runs away from parsley wont get anywhere near it, its like it disgusts her. She has buddy but he was neutered and its not time for them to be living together yet, she is also blind which makes it a tad more difficult...

Poor little thing - sounds like Basil my chinchilla who was 11 when I got him and had spent his life in a tiny cage. He was all like " what's this stuff woman, it's all moist - are you trying to poison me?". But he's pretty good now and will eat a small variety of things.

When she gets her buddy I'm betting when she hears him getting excited about a food stuff she'll follow him to where it is and try to steal it even if she can't see it. :)

Paula

We have been trying to tempt Oscar with different things, have you tried celery leaves? That went down well, and peeling the leaves of a brussell sprout was also popular. Cucumber and the ends of green beans our love too. His four girlfriends think Xmas has arrived early, all this different veg, and grass too! Yee ha!

Have you tried any fruit at all, its not to be given very often. Mine have fruit 2x a week. They adore melon and also apple but make sure its red skinned I've read that green skinned apples can give the piggies lip/mouth sores and the core is removed. remember small amounts because too much fruit can cause tummy upsets

try spring greens! when basil wouldn't eat this was the ONLY thing he ate for weeks!

We have been trying to tempt Oscar with different things, have you tried celery leaves? That went down well, and peeling the leaves of a brussell sprout was also popular. Cucumber and the ends of green beans our love too. His four girlfriends think Xmas has arrived early, all this different veg, and grass too! Yee ha!

tried everything you listed, nothing.

Have you tried any fruit at all, its not to be given very often. Mine have fruit 2x a week. They adore melon and also apple but make sure its red skinned I've read that green skinned apples can give the piggies lip/mouth sores and the core is removed. remember small amounts because too much fruit can cause tummy upsets

apples is the only fruit, but she eats just a lil bit of that... not even a whole slice

Poor little thing - sounds like Basil my chinchilla who was 11 when I got him and had spent his life in a tiny cage. He was all like " what's this stuff woman, it's all moist - are you trying to poison me?". But he's pretty good now and will eat a small variety of things.

When she gets her buddy I'm betting when she hears him getting excited about a food stuff she'll follow him to where it is and try to steal it even if she can't see it. :)

Paula

she gets more excited then Him, she screams as loud as she cans when she hears the food come out.

I'm guessing here - could it be a 'mouth feel' thing if she's blind? How about a bit of grated carrot or shredded spinach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back