• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Still rumbling

maharvey83

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, I posted on here at the weekend that one of my Guineas was rumble strutting and had been for three days. It has now been going on for a whole week. Both my piggies are female and the littlest one rumble struts if they bigger one goes anywhere near her or tries to get in her hidey. If the bigger one is eating, the littlest rumble struts over and steals her food. Yesterday I saw head butting going on. If there is only one hidey they both seem to sit in it fine provided there is no food to fight over. Should I be concerned?

How old are they? If they are teenagers, then I wouldn’t be overly concerned if they are otherwise getting on well. Rumbling is a normal behaviour
Scatter feed their veg and pellets and ensure hay is available in multiple areas so there is no need for food to be hogged

If she is an adult (and I’m assuming not as you mention her being ‘little’), and it goes on consistently then overly hormonal behaviour can be a sign of ovarian cysts but that is usually in sows over 2 years old.

Hi 🙂

Do you mean you only have one hidey, or they share one of the hideys? If you only have one, I would suggest to have at least one hidey per pig. I would also suggest having to food bowls and hay stations if they are fighting over it.

Rumbling is a normal dominance behaviour and is nothing to be worried about as long as they don't have full-on fights and draw blood. If they do, then their bond will unfortunately have been broken and they will need to be separated.

How big is their cage? Two females should have an 150cm x 60cm cage (2x4 C&C cage).

Bonds In Trouble
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Hi 🙂

Do you mean you only have one hidey, or they share one of the hideys? If you only have one, I would suggest to have at least one hidey per pig. I would also suggest having to food bowls and hay stations if they are fighting over it.

Rumbling is a normal dominance behaviour and is nothing to be worried about as long as they don't have full-on fights and draw blood. If they do, then their bond will unfortunately have been broken and they will need to be separated.

How big is their cage? Two females should have an 150cm x 60cm cage (2x4 C&C cage).

Bonds In Trouble
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
No they have two hideys generally - one each plus a wicker tube. But I mean if I take one hidey to clean it or put it back in their hutch from their run etc they share it nicely. Just when there is two the littlest one will block the other from getting in it and then will run round to the other one and stop her getting in there too.

They are babies. Just over three months old

No they have two hideys generally - one each plus a wicker tube. But I mean if I take one hidey to clean it or put it back in their hutch from their run etc they share it nicely. Just when there is two the littlest one will block the other from getting in it and then will run round to the other one and stop her getting in there too.

They are babies. Just over three months old

So do the hideys only have one entrance then? If so, then that can be a problem. All hideys should have two doors so no piggy can get cornered.

She sounds as if she is just hormonal little lady. I wouldnt worry, but do ensure all your hides have two doors and that they do have enough space in the cage

Yep my hideys have two entrances, two water bottles and two food bowls. Two of everything to keep them happy. They have a chart something or other 5 ft cage which they sleep in (can’t remember the name of the brand now) and a 4ft square run that they spend most of the day in. All hideys, bottles etc get moved around wherever they go

Yep my hideys have two entrances, two water bottles and two food bowls. Two of everything to keep them happy. They have a chart something or other 5 ft cage which they sleep in (can’t remember the name of the brand now) and a 4ft square run that they spend most of the day in. All hideys, bottles etc get moved around wherever they go

Excellent, that’s all good.
Keep an eye on things but given their ages I’d think it’s hormones

Back