• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Stinky Guinea Pig I Cant Hold or Catch!

Angela99

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi. I adopted two guinea pigs 5 months ago but I can't pick up Buttercup yet. I've tried. He's big and easily flat out of my hands so I feel it's unsafe to pursue. The other one, Truffle is half his size so I can sometimes. The thing is, Buttercup is pretty stinky and i think he needs a bath. I have the proper shampoo. He's aggressive though and I couldn't control him bc he's big. So what to do? Truffle doesn't stink and is pretty clean. I heard you don't have to bathe them. Does he smell because of his bottom? It's kind of open area and he's Peruvian. Truffle is a different breed Abyssinian. If it's his bottom not his fur than I guess it's ok. Anyways what do you all do?

Thanks!

Attachments

Reenie

Forum Donator 2017/18

Seven7

Teenage Guinea Pig
I learned at the veterinary office how to catch and hold my Finn and Lara.
My vet used a small, soft towel to cover and hold. So their legs, and body can be held comfortably inside the towel.

I use pieces of soft fleece and cover them and hold them when I cut their nails or Finn's hair or anything I have to do. I find it very easy.

Angela99

Junior Guinea Pig
Oh I see! He's a Peruvian long hair. He is aggressive and he bites me often! Truffle doesn't bite at all. I'm hoping with time he'll trust me but he is very skittish. And he's just the most adorable creature ever! Maybe he could be part Cuy then and I could see why he doesn't like humans. He is stinky though

Seven7

Teenage Guinea Pig
I was under an impression that I shouldn't bathe my piggies reading from this forum.

My boy Finn has long hair but I trim his hair so his hair is always kept nicely and short enough.
My Finn stinks but I always maintain his dirty hair on his bum and I never bathed him before. I don't even know if he can handle a bath. I don't want to overwhelm him. His haircut and nail trim seem enough for him.

Seven7

Teenage Guinea Pig
Oh I see! He's a Peruvian long hair. He is aggressive and he bites me often! Truffle doesn't bite at all. I'm hoping with time he'll trust me but he is very skittish. And he's just the most adorable creature ever! Maybe he could be part Cuy then and I could see why he doesn't like humans. He is stinky though
I have seen a veterinarian handle them with a soft towel over them before.
So, I always use fleece pieces and I can do a lot including cutting nails.

Angela99

Junior Guinea Pig
I was under an impression that I shouldn't bathe my piggies reading from this forum.

My boy Finn has long hair but I trim his hair so his hair is always kept nicely and short enough.
My Finn stinks but I always maintain his dirty hair on his bum and I never bathed him before. I don't even know if he can handle a bath. I don't want to overwhelm him. His haircut and nail trim seem enough for him.
Ok great thank you so much 😄

Reenie

Forum Donator 2017/18
Hopefully not, and he's just a big chap. There is loads of great advice in this thread.
New and Wannabe Guinea Pig Owners Corner

CocoAndOreo

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi there!
I have some tips on how I “catch” my guinea pigs.
First, You have to find something that can hold your guinea pigs. For example, I use Coco and Oreo’s hide house. But instead I flip it so the inside it out and it can hold the guinea pigs.
Next, put it in the guinea pigs cage. Make sure there’s an entrance so they can go in. Keep on holding it and let your guinea pig explore it.
If your guinea pig goes in, you can pick the hide house up and bring it to wherever you need it to be. If it does not want to go in, just wait for a while until it wants to go in.
I hope this helps! :D

beckyxxx

Junior Guinea Pig
I use a cuddle cup or a tunnel covering both ends to catch my boys, they are used to it now and normally just hop into the cuddle cup for me to be transported. Once out of the cage and on a sofa or something your Guinea pig should behave and just let you pick them up. I don’t bathe my boys, I clean their bum areas every 2 weeks or so by keeping the hair trimmed and cleaning around the genital areas and bum areas with some waterless cleaning foam. You don’t need water and it doesn’t need rinsing so it’s a lot less stressful for your little guys. It’s from pets at home if you’re interested x