• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Stone or UTI?

Bradshaw Piggies

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi all, hope everyone is well!

So last week I took Rocket to C&R to see Kim and Simon as he was showing symptoms of a UTI (blood in urine and vocalising pain when passing urine). He was eating but losing weight (I’ve stepped in with syringe feeding to keep his weight stable).

Kim said she didn’t think at this point it was a stone as his bladder was soft and pain free and there were no signs of inflammation or pain on palpation. Though she did say only an X-ray could confirm 100% if he was stone free.
He’s 6 months old and only tiny at 630g, but hasn’t lost any more weight at present. He was prescribed Sulfatrim (0.4ml twice a day), Loxicom (0.4ml twice a day), Tramadol (0.1ml twice a day), cystease given twice a day and a diuretic tablet crushed up and given at 1/8th of a tablet a day. We decided on Sulfatrim as he’s already had Baytril and Doxycycline, and they didn’t work. He also had a very bad reaction to Zithromax in the past, so we avoided it this time.

This week he’s continuing to worsen. I’m still syringe feeding and he is eating a little, so is still at 630g, but his symptoms are much worse. He doesn’t move from the spot, and as he’s urinating a lot he is getting soaked in it. So I’ve got him on vet bed and I’m washing and drying him every couple of hours. I’m also adding barrier cream to his feet to try prevent any sores from urine scald.

There is a lot of blood in his urine, and though he’s on Tramadol and Loxicom, he’s still constantly squeaking and vocalising his pain a lot of the time. He also looks like he’s straining as he lifts his back legs and back, and rocks on the spot (still squeaking in pain).

He is due back at C&R on Friday with some time booked for X-rays and any medical procedures if we need to.

Though we initially thought this isn’t a stone, could it be? He’s still passing urine (with blood). Has anyone else had experience with this?

i feel awful watching him in so much pain 😢

I'm not an expert, but it sounds a lot like @Betsy 's Patsy and the stone that she passed recently... She was getting wet with urine and standing oddly while urinating.
Healing wheeks to Rocket, hope the visit to C&R provides a solution to his problem x

I'm not an expert, but it sounds a lot like @Betsy 's Patsy and the stone that she passed recently... She was getting wet with urine and standing oddly while urinating.
Healing wheeks to Rocket, hope the visit to C&R provides a solution to his problem x
Thank you, so did she manage to pass it herself? I just want to do anything I can to help him in the meantime? x

Sending healing vibes to Rocket, hope the C&R can find out what is wrong and get it sorted x

Thank you, so did she manage to pass it herself? I just want to do anything I can to help him in the meantime? x
Yes she did pass it herself, her problem etc is described here: Patsy's lost weight

However if I recall correctly, boars are less likely to pass a stone successfully because their pipework has a kink in it.

Yes she did pass it herself, her problem etc is described here: Patsy's lost weight

However if I recall correctly, boars are less likely to pass a stone successfully because their pipework has a kink in it.
Thank you! That’s really helpful. Thanks so much for your help :)

Poor Rocket
Hope all turns out well for your little boy.
Look after yourself too - it’s stressful caring for a sick piggy.
Holding you in my heart

Yes Patsy did pass a stone. It was a massive stone. When I took Dennis to the vets today, I showed the stone to the vet. She was very surprised at the size of it and that Patsy actually managed to expel it herself. The vet said that if Patsy had been a boy there was no way that it would have come out other than with surgery and the fact that Patsy did manage to pass it had saved her life.

Yes Patsy did pass a stone. It was a massive stone. When I took Dennis to the vets today, I showed the stone to the vet. She was very surprised at the size of it and that Patsy actually managed to expel it herself. The vet said that if Patsy had been a boy there was no way that it would have come out other than with surgery and the fact that Patsy did manage to pass it had saved her life.
So glad to hear she’s ok! So there’s a difference with the boars passing them then? It’s likely he will need surgery? If it is a stone that is x

So glad to hear she’s ok! So there’s a difference with the boars passing them then? It’s likely he will need surgery? If it is a stone that is x

yes there can be a difference. Boars urethra isn’t straight and stones can get stuck if they try to pass - this results in an emergency surgery situation as it can block the flow of urine and is very painful.
if it is a stone, then surgery to remove it is likely

yes there can be a difference. Boars urethra isn’t straight and stones can get stuck if they try to pass - this results in an emergency surgery situation as it can block the flow of urine and is very painful.
if it is a stone, then surgery to remove it is likely
Thank you. I just worry that he’s very weak for surgery, but if that’s the only option we will of course go ahead with it x

Can you get him seen any sooner? If he’s not eating and becoming weaker, plus straining and squealing then I’ll be honest I don’t think he should wait until Friday if you can get him seen sooner.

Can you get him seen any sooner? If he’s not eating and becoming weaker, plus straining and squealing then I’ll be honest I don’t think he should wait until Friday if you can get him seen sooner.
That was my thoughts. They did say they are extremely busy there. I’m more than happy to drive him there if they can get him in. Will ring them again tomorrow morning, first thing

It could be that a stone is wedged at the entrance to the urethra from the bladder which can cause urine to leak all the time. The stone forms in the bladder but only causes a problem when it moves and gets wedged. It's so much harder for the boys - their tubes are apparently a bit smaller 😢

My sow once had one squeezed out 'like a tube of toothpaste' (was how the vet put it) and I'm sorry to say it wasn't a smooth egg - it was like a ninja throwing star. It was better out than in but we lived in fear of another... but didn't get one, and she lived till 5.

It's a horrible time for you and Rocket and I'm so sorry.

Sending loads of healing vibes to Rocket. I am so sorry you are going through this.
I've had 3 boars with stones, they do get stuck at the kink in the urethra and surgery is needed unfortunately. I agree Rocket needs to be seen earlier than Friday, from your description I don't think this is something that can wait.

It could be that a stone is wedged at the entrance to the urethra from the bladder which can cause urine to leak all the time. The stone forms in the bladder but only causes a problem when it moves and gets wedged. It's so much harder for the boys - their tubes are apparently a bit smaller 😢

My sow once had one squeezed out 'like a tube of toothpaste' (was how the vet put it) and I'm sorry to say it wasn't a smooth egg - it was like a ninja throwing star. It was better out than in but we lived in fear of another... but didn't get one, and she lived till 5.

It's a horrible time for you and Rocket and I'm so sorry.
Glad to hear your girl managed to pass it and continued a happy life.
Thank you, I really hope we can get him in the vets ASAP and get him sorted 🤞🏻

Back