• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Storage Bins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyanna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I got my guinea pig on Saturday. Currently she is in a Christmas tree storage bin (52.32" x 20.31" x 14.30")

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/750245-iris-usa-christmas-tree-storage-box.html#.VL6DH9TnaHs

The width is 4 inches short of the recommended size for guinea pigs. I have her on fleece and plan to wash that 2x a week. I also plan to disinfect and clean the actual bin 3x a week. I plan to connect another bin to make my cage sort of an "L" shaped cage.

Has anyone used storage bins? I know that piggies need ventilation. I keep the cover off, as the walls are short in my bin. I have seen something where someone cut out a section and replaced with some type of wire/mesh cover, but those where for taller type bins with lids on. Right now, C&C cages are in my mind, but currently we are making do with what we have.

If anyone has done something similar, I'd love to see.

I know ventilation is an issue, but from my view I see people who build custom cages with wood walls that are as high as my bin walls. I'm open to hear opinions and advice. :)

Bins are plastic though which is different. Personally, I would not use that but try to get a c and c cage. They are perfect for when you find your little one a friend.

What makes bins different from wood walls, when both are covered with fleece? Inquiring only because in all honest I'm curious, I like to learn.

I would think the bin walls would need more cleaning, obviously.

Like I stated, I'm looking into C&C cages but I like my bin, and I just want to learn before I go out and buy C&C which is clearly the most used type cage.

Basically what I'm trying to get to is why are bins looked down on, when a bookshelf/wood cage is pretty equivalent. Not fighting, just like learning!

I think you'd be better with c&c. That way your piggie will be able to look out into the room and in a more open environment. Piggies will be able to see you approaching rather the just seeing you coming from above.

Plastic harbours bacteria as it does not have anywhere to go. I have never heard of a storage bin being used for a guinea pig before.

I think you'd be better with c&c. That way your piggie will be able to look out into the room and in a more open environment. Piggies will be able to see you approaching rather the just seeing you coming from above.

That's the cool thing about my bin, it being a Christmas tree storage bin. It is clear, with very low walls. When I say bin, I think people think large Rubbermaid totes with tall walls. That's not what my bin is.

I just want everyone to be aware I'm not arguing, I cannot stress enough, I just have a curious mind.

Plastic harbours bacteria as it does not have anywhere to go. I have never heard of a storage bin being used for a guinea pig before.

Please, don't get upset or offended. I'm not trying to make that happen, I'm just asking questions because like I said, I like to learn reasons why or why not.

That's the cool thing about my bin, it being a Christmas tree storage bin. It is clear, with very low walls. When I say bin, I think people think large Rubbermaid totes with tall walls. That's not what my bin is.

I just want everyone to be aware I'm not arguing, I cannot stress enough, I just have a curious mind.
Don't worry I know you're not arguing. It is ok to ask questions etc. it's just that the storage bin on the link looked like it was white plastic rather than clear. Just wasn't sure how easy it would be to see through as piggies sight is not that great.

I keep tortoises, and it's always a learning experience. We are not the animal, we have to choose for them what is best. It's constantly changing as we learn more needs or "easier" ways to do things. I feel the guinea pig world is the same way. Care has evolved over the years and I'm just looking into why bins (CERTAIN, good bins) have not been looked to. Which is why I wonder if anyone has ever experienced problems or what was their major downfall of using a bin?

Don't worry I know you're not arguing. It is ok to ask questions etc. it's just that the storage bin on the link looked like it was white plastic rather than clear. Just wasn't sure how easy it would be to see through as piggies sight is not that great.

It is a clear plastic, kept on the floor. Walls are very very short, and she can even see me from my bed. She's at bedside. Being on the floor, makes me come to my hands and knees at level with Nugget. She can also peek over and see through the bin, just like I can, even with my glasses off.

With more cleaning to make sure bacteria stays at bay, I think there's potential in bins. (of adequate size, etc.) Unless, other's have actually experienced problems with them.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes or upset anyone. I'm just trying to figure out why a bin with perfect space and clear short walls would be an issue. I also don't want to feel like people are talking down on me for what I would call "thinking out of the box" or going somewhere no one else has gone, unless I was harming my piggy.

Last edited:
I guess if the walls of the bin are quite low it is similar to an indoor piggie cage (not C&C), like I have some of mine in at the moment. Plastic is very easy to keep super clean too. I do have some in outdoor wooden hutches but these need regular drying (difficult in winter!) otherwise the wood is damp and smells. There are always variations on right and wrong ways for keeping animals, as long as your guinea pig is happy and healthy, it won't know any different. :)

I guess if the walls of the bin are quite low it is similar to an indoor piggie cage (not C&C), like I have some of mine in at the moment. Plastic is very easy to keep super clean too. I do have some in outdoor wooden hutches but these need regular drying (difficult in winter!) otherwise the wood is damp and smells. There are always variations on right and wrong ways for keeping animals, as long as your guinea pig is happy and healthy, it won't know any different. :)

Thank you Hannah, that is sort of what I was trying to get at. Maybe a little more cleaning work for me to make sure piggy doesn't get sick, but it is basically the equivalent to a homemade cage that isn't C&C.

I was just thinking different than the "norm" and was puzzled since no one has done it, but it doesn't seem as if there's a big reason as to "Why not?". :) If someone comes around and says from experience the bin is a no-no, of course, I would change it right away.

Of course, if piggy would get sick, my first assuming thought would be maybe my plastic bin idea failed. But keeping animals is always "an experiment" with lack of better words on best ways to care for them and keep them. How are you going to learn if you don't try and ask questions!

I keep tortoises, and it's always a learning experience. We are not the animal, we have to choose for them what is best. It's constantly changing as we learn more needs or "easier" ways to do things. I feel the guinea pig world is the same way. Care has evolved over the years and I'm just looking into why bins (CERTAIN, good bins) have not been looked to. Which is why I wonder if anyone has ever experienced problems or what was their major downfall of using a bin?

It is a clear plastic, kept on the floor. Walls are very very short, and she can even see me from my bed. She's at bedside. Being on the floor, makes me come to my hands and knees at level with Nugget. She can also peek over and see through the bin, just like I can, even with my glasses off.

With more cleaning to make sure bacteria stays at bay, I think there's potential in bins. (of adequate size, etc.) Unless, other's have actually experienced problems with them.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes or upset anyone. I'm just trying to figure out why a bin with perfect space and clear short walls would be an issue. I also don't want to feel like people are talking down on me for what I would call "thinking out of the box" or going somewhere no one else has gone, unless I was harming my piggy.
No-one is talking down on you so don't think that. People are just giving their opinions. If the piggy has plenty space and the area is well ventilated then I can't see an issue with it.

No-one is talking down on you so don't think that. People are just giving their opinions. If the piggy has plenty space and the area is well ventilated then I can't see an issue with it.

I don't, just mentioning it as I hope to be an active part of this forum and don't want that in the future! I'm liking the opinions, but I felt maybe my drilling questions would get some people upset. Definitely not my intentions. :) Thank you for your input, it is REALLY appreciated!

I hope you did not think I was talking down to you.

No, not at all! I was just hoping my different ways of keeping wouldn't lead to that. :) I'm very glad you came here to voice your opinion to help me think of possibilities it might be a bad idea!

The base of my cage is plastic, not clear as it's grey, the only difference to the bin is it has bars as well. Handy for attaching a water bottle and hay bag. I would be interested to see a picture of your set up if you don't mind.
(White vinegar is also really good at cleaning wee off plastic) oh and :wel:

I would say as a temporary measure it is ok, as long as the lid is off, but keep an eye out for any condensation and make sure the room isn't too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back