• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Storing Coriander/cilantro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylie80

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just chucked out another lot of coriander because it went brown and slimy. Piggies cant eat it fast enough before it spoils (they probably could as they love the stuff but I dont let them). Does anyone have a tip to store the it as I have no clue as I can't stand the stuff.

I know what you're going through. Coriander can be given freely, unlike parsley. I always check my coriander before putting it away. Lay it out, remove any 'off' bits and store it loose in a bag in the fridge.

I take all the brown gross bits off too and put it back in the fridge in a zip lock bag but then the next morning there are more, drives me nuts lol. Would be nice if they could eat parsley every day because the stuff I got the piggies as a treat for xmas is still looking green and fresh.

I was going to suggest buying it in pots too. I grew some from seed last year but mine won't eat it. From the stink eye I get I think it must be poison. They love parsley though, but then they would as it's an eat occasionally food, like the rest of their favourites :hb:.

I was considering buying some potted coriander today, as it's barely more expensive than the fresh packed stuff (£1 vs 72p) but I didn't as I'm a lazy idiot :))

I find that if I need to eke it out for the piggies (I usually use the 'going off' bits myself!), I take it out of the bag, separate it and put it in a single layer on kitchen towel, still stored within the fridge. I find any excess water that could contribute to sliminess is drawn away a bit, it just extends the life a tiny bit!

I'm finding that even the potted Coriander doesn't keep well in winter :(

I would grow some but I'm shockingly bad at growing anything, I even kill basil :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back