• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Strange Guinea Pig Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

flame146

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all... I asked about this long time ago, but had no luck in finding help, so let me ask again

My male boar (3yrs), who is nurtured, is doing this little sound... that sounds like duck quacking... I have no idea what does that mean... I'm guessing stress?
Has anyone heard this type of sound ever? if so... what does that mean?
I've taken him to the vet... and vet never heard that sound either, he checked him, and didn't find anything strange, so I'm helpless...

So, he's doing this sound all his life... sometimes rare, sometimes often, once there was a situation when his guinea pig friend died... he did it like 20 times in that day...so I'm guessing stress...

Thank you all for your answers!

edit: Here is this sound recorded 3 yrs ago, when I got him, right after his nurturing operation

Last edited:
He looks to me like he is eating too fast and it is a kind of hiccup.

From your description I was wondering if he would be hooting which can sometimes be a sign of heart issues but it doesn't sound like that to me.

That is a very unusual sound; I wonder whether it is a form of hickup or pressing something out when peeing or pooing (in which case it could be pain)?

well, I kinda think... if it isn't just some emotional effect... like a hiccup, I would definitely say it's painful, because lots of times... he does this tiny squeaking sound, which gets louder a bit... lasts for 3-4 sec... and ends with this duck sound...

But you know... he's perfectly normal overall... he eats well, doesn't show depression or something... he's a happy pig!

Aww poor little guy. Hope he is better soon.

hmmm I don't think I know how a guinea pig cough's, I think I never heard it, I heard him sneeze a lot of times...

That is unusual! Does he have a hoarse-sounding 'voice' normally? It sounds almost like that weird guinea pig chirp through a raspy throat!

his voice is perfectly normal, high pitch guinea pig voice...

2-3 years ago I got a tip here that I should check his throat, so I did, and I found 2 bacteria which I treated, but they weren't... or should I say... throat wasn't causing my piggy to be a duckie...

from what I see in my video and live, he does a big stomach tension when he does that sound... looks like a short spasm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back