• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Strange Incisor Growth— Help!

lj27

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 31, 2026
Messages
13
Reaction score
7
Points
85
Location
United States
Hello,
About 2 months ago my 4 year old guinea pig slightly chipped her bottom right incisor. Her regular vet was able to file her incisors to correct the issue. Her back teeth looked perfect at the time.
About 2 weeks later, when rechecking her teeth, they found that the bottom left incisor (the right side when looking at her) appeared thicker than usual. A tiny point was found on her back right molar, but it was not cutting her check or trapping her tongue.

1 month ago, we went to an exotic specialist to address her teeth. They did not seem concerned about the teeth and said to come back in 1 month to recheck. We have since heard horror stories about that vet, so we will not return, though we are open to finding a new specialist.

1.5 weeks ago, our primary vet rechecked the teeth. She said the back molar appears the same (with the point remaining unchanged), though noted a crack near the gum line on the bottom left incisor. Since she is eating/acting normally and maintaining weight, we were told that no action was needed at that time.

2 days ago, I noticed her periodically sinking in her right eye— assumably indicating pain. I decided to resume her Metacam (leftover from her recent spay) until her cage mate’s vet appointment on Thursday (I plan on bringing both to be rechecked).

Today, I decided to take a closer look at her teeth, and discovered her bottom incisors look crazy! It appears as though there is almost a tooth “splinter” coming from where the bottom left tooth was cracked. Any advice or ideas on what is going on with her bottom tooth is appreciated! (Ignore the hay in her teeth, I interrupted her snack lol)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1416.webp
    IMG_1416.webp
    28.5 KB · Views: 1
I haven't had to deal with this myself (touch wood) but am sending support and bumping 🙏❤️
 
Hi. I’ve had a piggy with something like that.

I took him to the vets and they said he had injured his tooth somehow and had damaged the enamel.

It did grow back normally in the end. I’d keep a close eye on it and get her to the vets if you notice other symptoms like weight loss or a change in eating habits.

IMG_6794.webp
 
Hi. I’ve had a piggy with something like that.

I took him to the vets and they said he had injured his tooth somehow and had damaged the enamel.

It did grow back normally in the end. I’d keep a close eye on it and get her to the vets if you notice other symptoms like weight loss or a change in eating habits.

View attachment 289543

Hi! Thank you! I came across your original thread while trying to research the subject. Hopefully we have the same situation. I just have no idea how she would have injured it, and if it was a secondary reaction to possible molar or ear issues.
 
I hope your guinea pigs tooth grows back normally. Teeth can be such a worry especially as few vets seems to have good experience with teeth.

I’m sorry you heard horror stories about the vet you used. It can really put us off 😞 x
 
Back
Top