• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Strange noise from piggie

Roclibrarian

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My husband alerted me that Luna had been making a strange noise this afternoon. I got this off pig cam.
She's been fine since I've been home. Any idea what this noise is?

I've listened to her chest which sounds fine and she's acting normal, eating and drinking ok.
She has been submission squealing quite a bit since getting a new friend 2 weeks ago. Is her voice going perhaps?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Ooh that does sound weird. Kind of...chesty to me. I’m not sure though. Perhaps keep an eye on her and take her in if it’s still going on?

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It sounds chesty to me too. I’d keep an eye on her and have her vet checked if the noise continues. Hopefully she just had something irritating her nose or something

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
My husband alerted me that Luna had been making a strange noise this afternoon. I got this off pig cam.
She's been fine since I've been home. Any idea what this noise is?

I've listened to her chest which sounds fine and she's acting normal, eating and drinking ok.
She has been submission squealing quite a bit since getting a new friend 2 weeks ago. Is her voice going perhaps?
That sounds like something breathing related to me. Please be aware that piggies can suppress symptoms when feeling stressed; especially with respiratory symptoms. It took me 2 years and several vet visits to have my Ffraid diagnosed because she always suppressed the symptoms when examined by a vet.

However, if the breathing persists or gets worse, or if your piggy looks off and loses weight (switch to weighing daily at the same time and allow for the 30-40g daily weight swing for the time being) then please see a vet. Keep in mind that any little obstruction in the narrow airways is always very audible. The rasping could sit in the throat for instance...

Roclibrarian

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That sounds like something breathing related to me. Please be aware that piggies can suppress symptoms when feeling stressed; especially with respiratory symptoms. It took me 2 years and several vet visits to have my Ffraid diagnosed because she always suppressed the symptoms when examined by a vet.

However, if the breathing persists or gets worse, or if your piggy looks off and loses weight (switch to weighing daily at the same time and allow for the 30-40g daily weight swing for the time being) then please see a vet. Keep in mind that any little obstruction in the narrow airways is always very audible. The rasping could sit in the throat for instance...
Thanks. She has been slowly losing weight since her sister died 5 months ago. I put it down to loneliness, but she's still losing since she got a new friend. I've got a vet appointment for Friday, this maybe an important clue.