• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Strange Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fr0ggy

Now I have a bit of an odd question and feel a bit daft for asking but one of my boars seems to be getting swollen on his rear end-I can only describe it as looking like a monkeys bum! Anyone have any experience of this?

Could it be an impacted anus? (how old am I & I hate using that word!)
Does it look like he has a build up of poo in there?

hils78 said:
Could it be an impacted anus? (how old am I & I hate using that word!)
Does it look like he has a build up of poo in there?

No it all looks clean and he seems to be going to the toilet ok

defiantly sounds like an impacted butt, mine have had this and to begin with many years ago now ( showing my age) I wondered what the hell it was , normal poo can escape the blockage and it appears they are going normally but the blockage needs removing, now i warn you it is smelly but the relief on the pigs face is such a wonderful thing to see, you need to roll the skin around the lump and it will pop out its a mixture of poop and white excretions ugh! ( the lump can be hidden so it looks like its all ok, ) if you dont think it is this then the vet needs a look as it could be anything a prolapse maybe, my ginger had it from age 2 until he died a few months ago and he was almost 5 ,

Hils that piggy from the other day? his butt looks like that ..remember when you and mum thought it was weird?

I don't remember his butt sorry ::) all I remenber about rear ends was the ginger ones bits being on the girly side - infact we were debating if he was a girl - because the other Newark boy had 'definate' pompoms(!) I didn;t look closer.
I don't mind coming over & having a look though....

hils78 said:
I don't remember his butt sorry ::) all I remenber about rear ends was the ginger ones bits being on the girly side - infact we were debating if he was a girl - because the other Newark boy had 'definate' pompoms(!) I didn;t look closer.
I don't mind coming over & having a look though....
Oh god,mum and me just did it,rolled his skin back and there was a huge piece of eww inside with the white gunge and it stunk..no wonder he was sitting weird

Well done Shaz (sars mum)!
I feel bad I didn;t see it! The first time I got to hold these pigs was when I got them to yours. I do remember him being a completely different shape to the other one - it was the size difference of their other bits I was looking at!

Who has experience of Impacted bums here! How often does it need sorting & does it need cleaning? any advice appreciated H78

Ive never seen or smelt anything so gross :o xx0

poor lil guy mustve been in agony

hils78 said:
Who has experience of Impacted bums here! How often does it need sorting & does it need cleaning? any advice appreciated H78

yup we need to know if it needs cleaning etc,and I think Hils means piggies bums hopefully not ours

Is this what yours looked like?

Bobsbum.jpg

not very dignified for the poor thing I know!

Fr0ggy said:
Is this what yours looked like?

Bobsbum.jpg

not very dignified for the poor thing I know!

yup with a big round ball of poo at the opening,we couldnt figure out what it was

Needs checking daily and cleaning out as needed.

Is a job for life I'm afraid but you do get used to it I promise!

In the Really Useful Guinea Pig Guide it says "It is nearly always older boars who get this seldom younger ones. It happens because the muscles around the anus become lax and do not expel the soft droppings. These build up into a hard mass and although normal droppings can at first pass around it, if left will block the anal canal.
Treatment: it is very easy to relieve this condition temporarily but, be warned, it is a smelly operation. Wearing disposable gloves hold the patient on his back in your arms, his bottom over the toilet pan. Smear some vaseline onto the mass and roll back theskin around it gently. As you ease it outwards slowly the whole mass should drop away, leaving an evil smelling white secreation. This should be wiped away with wet cotton wool, and your boar will reward you by hopping around like a spring lamb in sheer relief. This process may need to be repeated only once a month but check weekly.
When this problem first occours it would help if you gave the GP 2 crushed Brewers Yeast tablets weekly for 2 weeks. This will take place of the soft droppingswhich would normallybe taken from the anus and re-ingested. He will gradually adjust by eating more whole grain from the dry food & ingesting more of his natural pellets"

After reading & typing this - 1x per month seems a bit of a long time...

ok we've cleaned him up ( bath for him tomm) and he seems a lot happier

thanks for helping us out with it and the info Hils and everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back