• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Straw Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amsy1991

I'm having a problem with my guinea pigs.They are both nearly two and they have had straw in their cage a lot.I always see them eating it and the next day there is nothing left of it.I dont understand why they eat it.They are fed twice a day and have plenty of food and water anyway.They go out to grass nearly everyday too.What should i do?

Amsy

afaik, straw doesnt have any nutritional value, but is not undhealthy as such for them. So I wouldnt worry.

Do they get enough hay btw? Straw is not a replacement for hay, I wondered that a while ago, and was told that it doesnt provide them with enough fibre.

Thanks for that.Yes they get hay a lot too.They dont seem to eat that as much as they straw thought.

It depends on the type of straw. It may be oat straw, which is very palatable and is more nutritious than either wheat or barley straw. Oat straw is paler in colour than wheat/barley straw and quite a bit softer also.

But anyway, I read somewhere on here it would be better anyway to use some sort of cheap hay for bedding purposes, as straw can cause eye injuries?

It certainly can! My first ever piggy, Pippin pierced his eye with straw. Thankfully the drops i was given saved his eye but it was very worrying at the time as the vet said it could explode at any time :o

I only use Russel Rabbit short cut soft straw now & have had no problems with it

Niki x

mine also had eye scratches made by the straw I used many moons ago and i never ever use straw now,

Thanks for the help!I now know lots about their straw!I'll change their bedding and use some sawdust and fine cut straw and buy a hay rack.Thanks again!

Amsy

Niki said:
I only use Russell Rabbit short cut soft straw now & have had no problems with it

Niki x

The Russel Rabbit soft straw is really good as bedding, and easier to hoover up than shavings.

If anyone uses 'cheap' hay as bedding, make sure you smell it before using, and if it smells dusty or mouldy, THROW IT AWAY. If guineas eat 'bad' hay it can kill them.

Amsy1991 said:
Thanks for the help!I now know lots about their straw!I'll change their bedding and use some sawdust and fine cut straw and buy a hay rack.Thanks again!

Amsy

Amsy please don't use sawdust, it causes lots of problems, esp breathing probs. I use layers of newspaper with soft straw on top & no sawdust or shavings, however some people do use shavings, with no problems but i don't know of anyone using sawdust

Niki x

Oh Niki thank you for that!
Niki said:
Amsy1991 said:

Amsy

Amsy please don't use sawdust, it causes lots of problems, esp breathing probs. I use layers of newspaper with soft straw on top & no sawdust or shavings, however some people do use shavings, with no problems but i don't know of anyone using sawdust

Niki x

I will speak to my parents about it!I never knew.I will try to use newpaper but it really gets on my nerves as they rip it up and eat it so there's none left!

Thanks again Niki!

Amsy XX

For some reason guineas do like to eat newspaper. Use quite a few layers of it so there's always some left after they have eaten their fill!

Its weird though - in some shops they label normal woodshavings as "sawdust" - I see quite a bit of confusing coming in the next couple of years...

but apart from sawdust being just what it says - like pure dust - it is a bugger to clean out of a cage, its just a sticky layer of filth that you cant even brush out with dustpan and brush, its just such tiny particles of it...

I've never used straw for my piggies but i do use newspaper topped with woodshavings then hay.I also had a brilliant idea,i bought a paper shredder,so all those leaflets that come through the door get shredded,it comes in handy for the piggies and the hamster.

Kay's cavies said:
I've never used straw for my piggies but i do use newspaper topped with woodshavings then hay.I also had a brilliant idea,i bought a paper shredder,so all those leaflets that come through the door get shredded,it comes in handy for the piggies and the hamster.
Thats a good idea!
Abnoba said:
Its weird though - in some shops they label normal woodshavings as "sawdust" - I see quite a bit of confusing coming in the next couple of years...

but apart from sawdust being just what it says - like pure dust - it is a bugger to clean out of a cage, its just a sticky layer of filth that you cant even brush out with dustpan and brush, its just such tiny particles of it...
I agree i get very confused what is wood shavings and what isnt!

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back