• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Struggling With Nellie's Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Nellie had a very nasty kidney infection for which she was treated with antibiotics. We had to syringe feed her as she wasn't eating, and we're able to maintain her weight. However, while she is much better in every other way (lively, eating by herself, pooping well etc) over the past week her weight has dropped by almost 200g.

She was quite a big lass before she got ill - is it possible that her 'fat reserves' we're keeping her going and now they've been used up, we are noticing the weightloss?

We're still syringe feeding her (though she's gone back to being a feisty little madam and fights us) and as I say, everything else is improving as expected, just can't understand the weight loss.

Alanaf

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I've needed to help my one with gaining weight one good trick is the following 'recipe'

I've found is to grate up carrot and cover it in quite a lot recovery powder, add a tiny bit of water and sprinkle with pro c powder.

Then when you mix it all up you get a grated carrot goop, I then put a bit more fresh carrot gently mixed through so more of it is visable - it almost looks like a weird slightly thicker carrot cake batter

my girl then wants to make sure she can eat all the carrot and by proxy munches away on the recovery food too, therefore getting fibre and more good stuff into her in the process

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Porridge oats are good for bulking up piggies and may help her gain some. Or, you could try barley grass powder, mixed into the syringe food.

Has she had her back teeth checked, if she wasn't eating?
She had her teeth checked at her last appointment and is due to have them checked again Wednesday.

I'll try the oats - I remember Nelson quite liked those, but Nellie's a fussy devil. Should I give them to her dry or mixed with water?

When I've needed to help my one with gaining weight one good trick is the following 'recipe'

I've found is to grate up carrot and cover it in quite a lot recovery powder, add a tiny bit of water and sprinkle with pro c powder.

Then when you mix it all up you get a grated carrot goop, I then put a bit more fresh carrot gently mixed through so more of it is visable - it almost looks like a weird slightly thicker carrot cake batter

my girl then wants to make sure she can eat all the carrot and by proxy munches away on the recovery food too, therefore getting fibre and more good stuff into her in the process
I'll try that! She does seem to like eating carrot at the moment.

Thanks!

Alanaf

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That's okay! And the fact that the carrot is grated makes it really easy for them to eat - especially if there is a chance there may be something going on with her teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.